Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why are the fares so high when other airlines offer much lower fares?

kszabo
Explorer C

I have been traveling with SW for a long time but recently see the fares have been much higher then other airlines. I would like to remain with e SW but when you see the difference in fares, and I travel for business quite often, it makes it difficult to remain true to SW.

I would like to see SW rates get in inline with other airlines

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Why are the fares so high when other airlines offer much lower fares?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Generally, Southwest fares are in line with economy fares of the big three Delta, American, and United as well as Jet Blue, Alaska and Hawaiian.

Maybe not with their "deep discount" fares where they are trying to compete with Spirit, Frontier and Alegiant. Of course the deep dscount fares and the offerings of the three low cost carriers mentioned are pretty bare bones - last to board, no carry on bags, no checked bags, no pre airport seat selection (and no A or B boarding position that allows you to get a reasonably good seat by boarding before C positions (and on the three LCCs you pay for drinks, and snacks, too). 

If the fares are low enough, maybe you should try the product to see whether or not it suits you. It does not suit me.

Re: Why are the fares so high when other airlines offer much lower fares?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

This may be true for some routes, but I find that SW suits my business travel really well.  For me personally, the prices are generally very competitive.  One of my team member had a round trip flight for $150 recently on a route where no other airline offers a direct route.  So even when fares are a little more, I have to consider:

• extra fees other airlines would charge: baggage, change, cancellation
  • does SW get me there direct?

SW may not be the cheapest every time, but even when the cost is a little more, I make it work for me to save on fees and to have more flexibility than I would with any other airline.  Fortunately, my employer lets me make those cost/benefit decisions.

As was mentioned, when you consider all these things, if you find another airline that fits your travels better, totally understandable.  I know SW will be glad to have your business anytime it works for you.

-A List, Companion Pass holder