Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why does SW use the same airports (only 4 from my home) every single time they offer lower fares?

Bailey365
Explorer C

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Why does SW use the same airports (only 4 from my home) every single time they offer lower fares

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Every time a fare sale is announced, I jump to see what is being offered. I’ve learned that while every sale is different, there are cities and destinations that SW typically offers lower fares. 

In my own opinion, I think there are a couple of things that impact where/when sale fares are offered:

-competition

-presence in the city/airport

-time of year

-newness is the route

-distance of the route. 

Of course, the SW marketing minds are far smarter than mine. I think about it like this: SW advertises sales like every other company (especially retailers) I know. They highlight the deals and then explain in smaller print that there may be some exclusions. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don’t. 

When you do book travel, however, I encourage you to recheck anything you have booked for cheaper fares. Remember that when fares go down, you can rebook your flights, and — depending on the fare type — you can either get a refund or get the travel funds for future use. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Why does SW use the same airports (only 4 from my home) every single time they offer lower fares

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Also keep in mind that not all sale fares are advertised.  Depending on your market, which it might help to include in future questions, Southwest may offer lower fares without advertising it.  This is usually done due to competition on particular routes lowering their prices and Southwest tries to remain the lowest price, or at least competitive.  Southwest may advertise a sale price of $100 to fly from A-B, but if you check other dates that weren't included in the sale you may find $70 fares.  This applies to cities that aren't even listed as having sales too.

--TheMiddleSeat