Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Will I fit?

Craigboe
Explorer C

I'm sure this question that's been asked a thousand times. But I am very concerned I am 6 foot 1 inches tall. And I weigh approximately 325 pounds. Will I fit in a Southwest airline seat?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Will I fit?

franktravel
Aviator B

Guidelines for Customers of Size

Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel in order to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; width between the armrests measures 17 inches. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft. In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s).

For more information, please refer to our Customer of Size Policy Q&A.

Re: Will I fit?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

It might be cozy!

Southwest has only 737 aircraft, so the seats are fairly uniform. If you've been on a 737 before then that experience is probably the best guide.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.