Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wow...

furbabies4life
Explorer C

So, I just took my very first flight on SW airlines this past weekend and let me say, it was very interesting. First, both there and back the pilots did an awesome job with take off and landing. VERY cool! On our way back, however, we had some issues. My husband, brother in-law, and I were on the very first row on the left, if sitting it would be on the right. Well, the lady on the other side of the isle had her belongings (a purse) under he seat she was in. I was working on doing that same thing, as my purse holds most of my important things. I was told I could not have my bag under there, and had to put it in the overhead baggage, which was so full no one could fit anything in there. The stewardess would not allow me to just put it under the deat, however, why didn't she ask the other lady to do the same? I feel like the trip back, my husband and I got picked on a little. It seems like we were singled out throughout Detroit airpoirt and on the plane. One lady kept running from the back of the plane to try to use the bathroom, after we told her my hsuband was next as he had been waiting as well. She attempted a thrid time, before I finally told her to please get the hell away from the front and that someone would let her know when the dam bathroom was free. One of your stewardesses also had an issue with shutting drawers, and proceeded to slam them. I'm not sure what the hell happened on the way back home, but I will make sure next time when we fly home to NOT go SW airlines, and NOT to go to Detroit airport. **Just FYI, on the way out to our destination, I was allowed to put my purse under MY own seat, so I don't understand the issue. It wasn't blocking anything. Again, preferable treatment to some, or so it seems** Also, I watched as another person took some Aoli sauces in their bag, carry on, and was allowed to continue with the sauce, however, my husband was told he could not take it and TSA took it. I really am starting to think flying sucks way too badly to justify flying. I mean, I get safety regulations, but if you're going to say no to one, say no to all. Just like the lady who had an open water bottle she just brought on with her, through TSA and all. Yet, we were told we couldn't take any of that stuff. I had to throw away $40+ of stuff we either bought as suvineers or to keep us hydrated. I think from here on out, we will just charter a plane or drive. Just too much of a hassel for what you pay. TSA needs to get their stuff together though.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Wow...

franktravel
Aviator B

The underneath space of the front row seats are reserved the people in row two.  Per FAA regulations there can be no personal belongings in the seats or on the floor in the first row during takeoff or landings. The only reason you may have been singled out was because the flight attendant saw you put it under the seat.  Depending on what type of plane you were on, the overhead bins do not shut easy and need to be shut forcefully.  Anything purchased after going through TSA you can take on the plane, if you go through TSA with anything over 3oz they are doing to make you throw it out.  Sometimes you get lucky and some things get through TSA.

My opinion. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I think overall, all your "issues" are common to any commercial airline out there and secondly, it's not surprising that TSA continues to be difficult and inconsistent. If you really can fly private then you should, it's just not an option for most people and I'll take flying over driving most places despite some of the annoying parts of air travel

chgoflyer
Aviator A

What TheMIddleSeat said.

Plus, carry on personal items go under the seat in front of you, so row 1 under-seat storage is for the people in row 2. Those in row 1 must use the overhead compartment.