Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

access travel funds

amypit40
Explorer C

Hello,

I have a travel fund that I am unable to use towards the purchase of a new ticket.  The fund comes from a flight that I checked into but did not board because it was so late that I would not have been able to make my second flight.  The gate agent helped me and said that she was saving the reservation in the system.  I was able to access the return flight travel fund because it was booked separately and I cancelled it after missing the first flight.  I can find the fund but I cannot gain access to use it to purchase a new ticket.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Amy

6 REPLIES 6

Re: access travel funds

bec102896
Aviator A

@amypit40

I'm sorry your having trouble booking your flight with your travel funds

I would recommend calling reservations with that confirmation number to see if they can help book your flight and see what might have happened 

if it is more complicated they may direct you to reach out to customer relations which you could do by calling 855-234-4654 or you could message Southwest on Facebook or Twitter and they might be able to help figure out the problem through there as well.

I personally have not heard of saving the reservation in the system I have heard of no show where the ticket wasn't canceled and left without you where you lose all funds or just canceled where the funds remain for a year from original purchase date 

hope your able to get your flight booked with the travel funds!

Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I would recommend you verify the vallue and expiration date of the travel funds by going to https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html and entering the confirmation numbers of the 2 reservations you had.  You'll be able to see the expiration dates which is one year from the date you originally purchased the reservation.  You need to complete any travel you want to purchase with the funds within 1 year of the original purchase.  This is often the reason people are unable to complete a purchase, they are trying to book travel that takes place after the funds expire.  If the info you see via that link doesn't help, then you'll want to contact Southwest as recommended by @bec102896

--TheMiddleSeat

amypit40
Explorer C

Thanks for the responses.  My two travel funds expire in Oct. 2019.  I just cancelled the trip 5 days ago.  I guess I need to call. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The only other thought I had is that the new flight purchase must have the same passenger(s) as the cancelled flight.  In other words, you can’t use travel funds from Bob’s cancelled flight to purchase a flight for Mary. If you’re trying to purchase with the same passengers I’m not sure what the problem would be.  Please reply back and let us know how it goes on the phone with Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@amypit40 wrote:

Thanks for the responses.  My two travel funds expire in Oct. 2019.  I just cancelled the trip 5 days ago.  I guess I need to call. 

Unfortunately, yes -- you'll need to call so they can sort this out.

Quick note: Funds expire one year from the date of purchase, not the date of travel or cancellation. Did you also just buy the flights this month?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I also had a travel fund once that wasn't working to make a valid reservation but when I called to sort it out it worked fine.

I'm not sure what the restriction was and didn't ever find out since it worked when I called.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.