jhofacre
Explorer C

Are skis ok for cargo lugagge?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: baggage

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Here is what SW's site says:

• Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Note: Snow ski equipment will not be subject to excess size charges. However, excess weight charges may apply.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jhofacre wrote:

Are skis ok for cargo lugagge?

Just to clarify semantics - cargo is a separate operation of Southwest where people ship packages and goods. 

For a typical ski trip, with your personal skis, the regular checked luggage as pointed out above would work fine.

Some ski destination airports such as Denver International even have special ski carousels for the checked items of that size. (One time we brought a 3' tall "minion" stuffed toy to my nephews and I was hoping he'd come out in the ski carousel, but they held him at baggage services due to threat of him walking off with new owners.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

The ski carousel at DIA is super cool! Once my long/tall dufflebag showed up there as opposed to the regular baggage slot. Love it!

Zev

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@ZevSupport

I am glad that you like the carousel at DIA. It seems that they are improving their carousel, all due to the mile high in Colorado where peoples comes in there to skiing. Glad that you had some fun time there.