Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

cPap machine as carry on??

gsquared71
Explorer C

Can someone please advise if I can take my cPap machine on board and NOT have to count it as my carry on luggage?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: cPap machine as carry on??

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Correct. A CPAP machine is a medically necessary assistive device, and as such does not count towards the carryon limit.

From the Southwest website:

Other Assistive Devices

Other assistive devices, such as walkers, canes, crutches, CPAP machines, etc., that can be stowed in compliance with FAA safety regulations, will be given priority onboard stowage, and will not be counted toward your one carryon plus one personal item limit.

Note: When going through security, the machine will need to be out of its case and be placed in a bin prior to being sent through the X-ray, but the facemask and tubing can remain in the case.

Csanch23
Explorer C

It ILLEGAL for southwest to force you to check your CPAP MACHINE. They forced me to lose my spot in line and check medical equipment. Elise at check in hasn’t been properly trained to understand that it’s against the law to do what she did. I am considering legal action against southwest for this blatant disregard for the law 14 CFR Part 382 which gives those who are considers disabled with medical devices the right to have their medical equipment available to them. This is a sad moment that proved they not only don’t have basic training, they are willing to deliberately break the law and treat their customers like 3rd class citizens.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Sounds like you had a bad experience. I'd suggest you bring it to Southwest's attention (this is primarily a customer-to-customer forum.) You can use any of the methods shown below under Contact Us. Good luck.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Csanch23 wrote:

It ILLEGAL for southwest to force you to check your CPAP MACHINE. They forced me to lose my spot in line and check medical equipment. Elise at check in hasn’t been properly trained to understand that it’s against the law to do what she did. I am considering legal action against southwest for this blatant disregard for the law 14 CFR Part 382 which gives those who are considers disabled with medical devices the right to have their medical equipment available to them. This is a sad moment that proved they not only don’t have basic training, they are willing to deliberately break the law and treat their customers like 3rd class citizens.

Well, I have an alternate explanation of what happened: Elise may have made a simple mistake.

People do make mistakes.

As chgoflyer said in his post, if you feel strongly about the matter, feel free to file a complaint.