Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

constantly delayed flights

Gus63
Explorer C

Either I am extremely unlikely or Southwest Airlines can’t maintain a schedule and also has no contingency plans. It appears every time I take a late afternoon / early evening flight to Portland Oregon, the flight is delayed. The latest has been 3.5 hours so far. I have switched to other airlines to see if they have the same problem but I have not experienced any issues. So I go and try SWA again (I’m a fool, I know), and get delayed again. You would think if there is an hour or longer delay there would be contingency plans (especially at busy SWA locations). 

Oh well, I’ve been fooled too many times. SWA has gone on my “avoid doing business with” list. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: constantly delayed flights

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@Gus63 wrote:

Either I am extremely unlikely or Southwest Airlines can’t maintain a schedule

Given that the U.S. airlines had an on-time arrival rate of 80.9% in March 2018 (the last month reported by the Department of Transportation: https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot3718) and Southwest's on-time rate in March was 80.88%, I'd say that you are extremely unlucky. Smiley Happy

Southwest wasn't even in the bottom three airlines for delays in March (those would be JetBlue, Virgin America, and PSA Airlines). Of course, Southwest wasn't in the top three either so they certainly have something to work toward improving. 

I know those delays you've experienced lately are frustrating, but they certainly aren't typical of Southwest. Give those other airlines a try if you'd like but I suspect you won't receive the same great service that Southwest gives its Customers...at least that's been my experience.

bec102896
Aviator A

Delays are no fun but all airlines have them these days. I would rather be delayed than canceled so at least it's just a delay. 

If you would like to discuss your experience with southwest you can call customer relations at 855-234-4654 or reach out on Twitter and they can see what's going on with your flights and why they are delayed 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Guess what - 2 hour delay for me on the MDW - PDX route on Saturay evening! I was jinxed.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Guess what - 2 hour delay for me on the MDW - PDX route on Saturay evening! I was jinxed.

D’oh!