Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

cooler as a checked bag?

katieh72
Explorer C

Hi! I am traveling to Utah in June and realized I will need a cooler once we get there due to my lodging choices. Can I use a cooler that is secured shut as a piece of luggage? I feel like the answer is "yes" but really want to be certain. thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: cooler as a checked bag?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

The TSA answer 

Cooler (empty) 

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

katieh72
Explorer C

empty as in no liquids right? hoping I could mash our pillows or bedding in there. We are in a teepee for 3 nights!

Aherrera
Explorer C

Can you provide an update on whether you were able to stuff items into it,  pillow, etc. Without issue from TSA? 

BoiseNoise
Explorer C

My sister has carried frozen foods back to Alaska from Missouri in a checked cooler before (on Alaska Airlines).  However, I am currently in the same situation as you . . . wanting to take a cooler holding a deflated air mattress, etc. to Arizona so that we can then use the cooler while helping my daughter move/ drive back to Idaho.  I'm certain it is okay by TSA regulations, but my main concern is how to secure the lid in a way that it will stay closed for the flight and not get damaged even if TSA decides to open the cooler and check it.  A couple of years ago, I packed some winter gear (coat, boots, snow pants) into a box, closed it up with packing tape, and checked it. TSA used box cutters to open the box and sliced right through my UGGS. So . . . not sure how they would treat my cooler if I added tape in a couple of places or something like that to make sure the lid stays on.  😕

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@BoiseNoise wrote:

My sister has carried frozen foods back to Alaska from Missouri in a checked cooler before (on Alaska Airlines).  However, I am currently in the same situation as you . . . wanting to take a cooler holding a deflated air mattress, etc. to Arizona so that we can then use the cooler while helping my daughter move/ drive back to Idaho.  I'm certain it is okay by TSA regulations, but my main concern is how to secure the lid in a way that it will stay closed for the flight and not get damaged even if TSA decides to open the cooler and check it.  A couple of years ago, I packed some winter gear (coat, boots, snow pants) into a box, closed it up with packing tape, and checked it. TSA used box cutters to open the box and sliced right through my UGGS. So . . . not sure how they would treat my cooler if I added tape in a couple of places or something like that to make sure the lid stays on.  😕

Leave an extra roll of packing tape on top just in case. Just kidding, they have TSA tape for that, whether they use it or not I have no idea.

Maybe try taping the stuff to the inside in case the lid becomes unsecured?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Aherrera
Explorer C

can you provide an update on whether you were able to stuff your air mattress without issue from tsa?