Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

packing tips

pomarcel
Explorer C

I'm new at traveling, so reaching out to all you experienced travelers! Do you recommend purchasing the trial sizes of personal toiletries to pack? Are these acceptable on flights? Shampoo, body wash, shaving cream, deodarant, hair spray and mousse? Put these in my carry-on?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: packing tips

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hello.

TSA requires that individual containers of liquids must be no larger than 3 ounces. So if the trial sizes meet that definition, you should be fine.

Remember to put tham all in a one quart size plastic bag. You'll need to take it out of your carry on bag before your bag is scanned - that is unless you are  lucky enough to get TSA pre , or have enrolled in it. 

Solid things, like stick deodorant, are not subject to therule -- just liquids.

Enjoy the flight!

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@pomarcel, don’t be like me and forget toothpaste!  I have had to buy many a toothbrush too.  Guess it’s the last thing I use so I am always thinking of leaving rather than packing.  Just mentioning it bc I didn’t see it in your list of toiletries.  Have a great trip!

pomarcel
Explorer C

Do you buy travel size of everything?

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Travel size (3.4 oz or less) or I put my stuff in purchased tiny travel bottles, but you only have to worry about the sizzle with carry-on.  If you check bags, you can bring whatever size you already have.  I am a frequent traveler, and never check bags because my plans often change, so the right size is important for me, but might not be for you.  Hopefully that helps.  

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Ha!  Worry about size not sizzle. (Truly, I have rarely sizzled even with my personal care products.). 

Bottom line, small (less than 3.4 oz) if carry-on but any size can be checked in with baggage (though I still recommend putting them in a ziplock bag in case they leak).

travel safe and have fun

pomarcel
Explorer C

Thanks so much! I didn't know if I could pack toiletries to check in and just pack small travel size in my carry on. But your answers certainly helped!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@pomarcel,

I love this question! Thank you for posting!