Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

protocol for wind speeds to cancel flights??

whiteknuckles
Explorer C

Taking off tomorrow RDU has NW crosswinds up to 40 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. What is liklihood my flight will be delayed (in a 737) Safety is paramount of course but anyone know what RDU allows for take off/crosswind speeds?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: protocol for wind speeds to cancel flights??

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @whiteknuckles,

I'm sorry this response is a little delayed, but I wanted to try and find you an answer from someone who really understands the situation. I was able to speak with one of our Flight Dispatchers, and here's what he told me (I know it won't help for the flight you took March 2, but it might be helpful information for future flights): 

"It's more about the airplane than airport. Provided the direct crosswind on the wings is less than 35 knots, the flight will be alright. Crosswinds basically mean anything different than a wind straight at the nose. Winds perpendicular to the airplane body are the most limiting."

Hope that helps, and I hope your flight was smooth sailing!

Re: protocol for wind speeds to cancel flights??

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@whiteknuckleswrote:

Taking off tomorrow RDU has NW crosswinds up to 40 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. What is liklihood my flight will be delayed (in a 737) Safety is paramount of course but anyone know what RDU allows for take off/crosswind speeds?

Hopefully you were able to take off without problems. I've only been to RDU one time and I can't remember the runway layout, hopefully they have two or more options on angles so that if one runway is getting a cross-wind, another runway could be used where that same wind is in a tolerable direction.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.