Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

qualifying the old fashioned way for a companion pass

lostmydog
Explorer C

Hi -

I just want to make sure I am looking at this the right way regarding qualifying for a companion pass via flights ( non credit card points). My work will pay for business select ticket class. So to get a companion pass I have to purchase 18 tickets/segments at let's say $500 per ticket which gets me 12x points for a total of 108k Rapid Reward points? I travel a lot for work between Hou and LGA/DAL so this is not crazy. Just looking to see if this correct and has any one else done this? Appreciate the feed back.

Be well,

Mo

7 REPLIES 7

Re: qualifying the old fashioned way for a companion pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Your understanding of how it works is correct, the only correction is that you need 110k RR points for Companion Pass. Purchasing Business Select fares drastically speeds up the RR points earning.

--TheMiddleSeat

lostmydog
Explorer C

This is wonderful and thank you. Will keep you guys updated! Have a wonderful weekend.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@lostmydog

I am a little but confused. You mentioned that your work will pay, not you? I don't know if it is possible that you could of get RR point, since work pays for your ticket. Let say your work get companion pass, not you. I think it is the way since work pays for it.

lostmydog
Explorer C

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Work will reimburse me for the ticket. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@DfDrPepper_23 wrote:

@lostmydog

I am a little but confused. You mentioned that your work will pay, not you? I don't know if it is possible that you could of get RR point, since work pays for your ticket. Let say your work get companion pass, not you. I think it is the way since work pays for it.

It doesn't matter who pays for the ticket. The person who flies gets the credit and if the passenger flying doesn't have a Rapid Rewards account then no credit will be issued (even to the person who paid) 

Blake 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Yup. If you fly, you get the RR points for the flights itself regardless of who paid.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lostmydog wrote:

Hi -

I just want to make sure I am looking at this the right way regarding qualifying for a companion pass via flights ( non credit card points). My work will pay for business select ticket class. So to get a companion pass I have to purchase 18 tickets/segments at let's say $500 per ticket which gets me 12x points for a total of 108k Rapid Reward points? I travel a lot for work between Hou and LGA/DAL so this is not crazy. Just looking to see if this correct and has any one else done this? Appreciate the feed back.

Be well,

Mo

Additionally if you have a Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa you would get 1x points for all purchases, and 1x points for all purchases on Southwest.com on that card, as well as some other perks. (In effect the 12x would be 14x towards companion pass.)

I'd strongly consider getting one if you plan to fly that much and purchase those fares, even if all you use it for is Southwest flights.

A-list is separate only for the flights, that will remain at 12x for business select fares but based on your pricing and frequency above you'd easily make A-list Preferred as well at some point during the year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.