Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

"Changes to your upcoming Southwest trip."

jksobonya
Aviator A

I received e-mails today that both legs of an upcoming trip have changes. For one leg, literally the only change is the flight number. The flight departure and arrival times are exactly the same. For the other leg, the departure is the same, but the arrival is 5 minutes sooner than the original arrival time. 

Reading the e-mails, they say that if the new itineries "do not work for you, we are offering the one time opportunity to change your flight date(s) and/or time(s) by up to 14 days from original travel date at no additional cost in accordance with our established reaccommodation practices." I have 3 days to make any changes. 

Honestly - this is incredible. My new itineries are nearly identical to what they were previously, and yet I can completely change them at will for a fare that is hundreds of dollars more (potentially), and it will cost me *nothing*? It almost feels wrong to take advantage of it. 

For one leg, I paid just $114 for a flight with a very early departure time and 2 stops. I already checked and a flight with a later departure time and just one stop is a whopping $465 - a $351 difference. It's available. I can rebook and it will cost me *nothing*. I can't get over it. Although, I think now I might want to arrive the night before and take advantage of an extra night. I have options!! Free options!!

This is the kind of thing that you guys will understand and appreciate. I thought about making a post on Facebook expressing my joy, but I don't think anyone will understand how amazingly incredible this is except my fellow Southwest fliers 😄 😄 😄 

--Jessica

5 REPLIES 5

Re: "Changes to your upcoming Southwest trip."

dfwskier
Aviator A

This the way it's done Jessica. The messages are computer generated and go out to everyone who has   itinerry changes imposed by the airline - even those as simpe as a change in flight number.

I bet you had some MAX flights booked.

jksobonya
Aviator A

The flights are not until late Feb / early March - so it's possible! But I didn't think flying on the MAX was an option yet. I didn't even look at the flight details before booking as I just assumed it was a 700 or 800 aircraft. 

Does anyone know what the 'Booking Class' might refer to? For one flight, it is "A", and the other flight, it is "J". As Southwest doesn't have traditional 'classes' on a plane, I am not sure what this is in reference to. 

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

This is from the latest extension of the MAX grounding, as Southwest pulls MAX planes out of their schedule from Feb. 9 to March 6, 2020. Even if your particular flight wasn't on a MAX it still may be affected by the changes throughout the schedule. Also, even if you don't receive a notification but have a flight scheduled during that timeframe you can make free changes for the next three days.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Thank you @chgoflyer!!

--Jessica

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I had a flight booked from FLL to PVD with one stop that left FLL at 6:00 PM. The departure time was changed to 5:40. That opened the door for me to book a nonstop on the same day at 10:50 am FOR 4,000 FEWER POINTS!  Thanks, Southwest!