Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

seasonal box embargo

CliffOnTheRoad
Explorer A

The December 2016 notice imposing an embargo on certain luggage, guessing the page was updated the day the policy went into affect, caused vacation cancellations or unknown problems for customers on tickets booked much in advance. I am trying to avoid problems for me and anyone else this Christmas season. As of Sept 16, 2017, the SW web site continues to say little more that seasonal limitations may apply.

I have emailed customer service in August requesting the dates and received a polite reply of they did not know. So today I sent them what American Airlines has on their site:

Seasonal baggage limitations

During busy travel seasons, we place limitations on checked baggage and boxes on some flights. From November 18, 2017 - January 8, 2018 there are seasonal limitations.

# # #

Maybe additional pressure needs to be applied, or an employee here could conclude "yea, that makes sense" and post what IS coming down the pike, if they can grab someones ear.

Read the community postings from Dec of last year, for here has been far more informative than on SW.com. That includes the rebuttal about "notices were emailed."  I pity the customer service reps who have to deal with this problem which shouldn't be a problem at all.

1 REPLY 1

Re: seasonal box embargo

CliffOnTheRoad
Explorer A

Unfortunate update of Dec 2017. Either on or just prior to the Nov 2017 prohibited baggage policy change, SW again risked causing undo stress to customers with prior bookings.

Their 'get ready to fly' email, sent 3 days prior to departure has one small line "review baggage policies" which links to the very important page saying:

Baggage embargo:
A baggage embargo is in effect for Passengers traveling to Havana (HAV). For specific information about the embargo at each destination, visit our airport information page.

During the holiday season, the combination of high load factors along with excess, oversized, and overweight checked baggage can exceed available baggage space on scheduled flights. This causes baggage to be left behind and sent on other flights. Due to the excessive number and size of checked items to Belize City (BZE), Montego Bay, (MBJ), Mexico City (MEX), Nassau (NAS), and San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) a baggage embargo is being enacted from November 18, 2017 through January 8, 2018 for all Customers traveling to these locations. For specific information about the embargo at each destination, visit ....

# # #

This again casts doubt on their statement to me that booked passengers were notified in advance via email.

It would be in SW best interests if they leave this page intact all year so next year the customer will not have to learn the check-in agent has no power to override policy, as they stand there with the rubbermaid container of medical supplies, or worse if their transport to the airport has already left.

During September 2017 I did receive an email from SW customer support which basically said "we don't know IF or WHEN, so please stop asking us." A phone person seemed like she would do a follow up, but nothing came down. Unknown if any communication "went up the corporate ladder."