Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

taking advantage of SW sale

jeanclough
Explorer C

IS there a way to see when lowest airfares are available for different cities without entering each city name?  I'm up for a cheap trip somewhere.  Is there a way to see which days the cheap fares are available and to which cities?  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: taking advantage of SW sale

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

The short answer is not exactly, but I suggest a process to make it easier:

1) Click in the sale banner to see a list of all city combinations on sale. This page will show you the lowest fare that exists between two cities within the parameters (dates, exclusions) of the sale. This is helpful because if your budget is $100, you can quickly see whether that price point even exists. Keep in mind that these prices are listed as one-way.

2) If you see a price you like, navigate to the Low Fare Calendar. Enter the city info and the month(s) you will be traveling. When you submit, you will get a calendar view of the lowest one-way price on each day!

Finally, I like to search using airport codes. I know all the ones I use frequently by heart. I find that it saves a few keystrokes. 

I hope you find this helpful!!!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Are you wondering if you can see what date is the cheapest from A-B? If so there is the low fare calendar where you can view cheapest dates 

if you wondering if you can see cheapest cities to fly to from your home airport you can click on the sale and it should load a page with all cities and starting costs like AUS to HOU starting at $94 or AUS to MCO starting at $103 

you can also sign up for the click and save emails and by selecting your home airport it will send you emails with fly from X starting at $49 or whatever the cost may be 

If you have any other questions please let me know or if you mean something different 

hope this helps

Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Are you wondering if you can see what date is the cheapest from A-B? If so there is the low fare calendar where you can view cheapest dates 

if you wondering if you can see cheapest cities to fly to from your home airport you can click on the sale and it should load a page with all cities and starting costs like AUS to HOU starting at $94 or AUS to MCO starting at $103 

you can also sign up for the click and save emails and by selecting your home airport it will send you emails with fly from X starting at $49 or whatever the cost may be 

If you have any other questions please let me know or if you mean something different 

hope this helps

Blake 

"Are you wondering if you can see what date is the cheapest from A-B? If so there is the low fare calendar where you can view cheapest dates " THAT is the best way to find the lowest fares, IMO

The problem with using the published fare sale information is that the lowest fares sometimes are below the fares shown as fare sales. For example, I regularly fly from Dallas to Chicago, and from Dallas to Denver, and I can almost always find fares lower then the stated "sale" fares between those airports. The only way that is revealed is via the low fare calendar.

Signing up to receive fare sale e-mails is a good thing to do, but you need to dig a bit deeper.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

"Are you wondering if you can see what date is the cheapest from A-B? If so there is the low fare calendar where you can view cheapest dates " THAT is the best way to find the lowest fares, IMO. Checking more than once is also a good idea as SW fares do go up AND down.

The problem with using the published fare sale information is that the lowest fares sometimes are below the fares shown as  the sale fare. For example, I regularly fly from Dallas to Chicago, and from Dallas to Denver, and I can almost always find fares lower then the stated "sale" fares between those airports. The only way that is revealed is via the low fare calendar.

Signing up to receive fare sale e-mails is a good thing to do, but you need to dig a bit deeper.

edit add: there is one exception to what I've said, and that exception is if SW runs a "distance based" fare sale (ie flights up to 499 miles cost $X, flights from 500 - 749 miles cost $Y , etc). Note that not all flights will be priced as such but SOME will be.  These fare sales normally are a good deal.

Southwest has historically run sales like this a few times a year. Interestingly the one that was run a few months ago, was not mileage based. So Southwest may have decided to not do this any more. We'll have to wait for the next one to see.

Good luck.