Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

transferring name on child ticket

monica_b
Explorer C

Me and my daughter are supposed to be flying to California in a couple months, she is 2.5, If she will not be able to make the trip with me will I be able to change the name on her ticket to use at a later time for myself. The tickets I purchased are non-refundable and she wont be flying anywhere in the near future . 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: transferring name on child ticket

chgoflyer
Aviator A

No, tickets are non-transferrable.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@monica_b,

If you cancel your daughter's ticket, you'll have one year from the original date of purchase to use the travel funds for another reservation for your daughter. The funds do have to stay with the original name on the ticket (your daughter).

bbroeck
Explorer C

I do not understand how this policy applies to a child when I am their parent/legal guardian! My two children ages 3 and 7 won't be travelling because of an unforseen circumstance and I'd like to transfer their tickets into my name so I can use them, I bought them. My children do not have identification nor will be booking their own airfare in the next year! I am so frustrated, please explain this further. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To explain further: The tickets you bought ("Wanna Get Away") are non-transferrable.

This applies regardless of the age of the traveler.

Southwest does offer more expensive tickets (Business Select, Anytime or Child Fare) that are refundable, which would have allowed you to cancel for a full refund.

If your children will indeed not travel prior to the expiration of the tickets, you may be able to eventually recover some of the funds. Once expired, you can call Customer Relations (not the regular number) and request the expired funds be reissued as a voucher, usable by anyone. The fee for this is currently $100 per ticket, and these requests are granted on a case-by-case basis. This unofficial policy is subject to change at any time.