Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

200+ Chicago flights cancelled because there is not enough deicing solution?

Mletjrj
Explorer C

Can someone tell me why running out of deicing solution in Chicago would fall under a weather related issue? If SW ran out of fuel would that be the passengers fault too?  I’m sure many people, including myself, have incurred a lot of expenses staying an extra day or not getting out at all because of Southwests failure to plan.  I hope Southwest takes a serious look at this and accommodates their loyal clients.  Being an A-list member for a very long time if nothing is offered I will start considering the other options I have. -mj

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 200+ Chicago flights cancelled because there is not enough deicing solution?

aludwig22
Explorer C

I 100% agree. Southwest did offer us distressed passenger discounted rate coupons however the hotels were all sold out in New Orleans due to Mardi Gras so we ended up spending close to $400 on an Airbnb for an additional night.  We spent a total of $110 on uber/cab rides going back and forth to the airport. On top of that, my husband and I both had to take an extra day off of work unpaid because Southwest was out of de-icer fluid.  Our friends who booked with different airlines were able to get out to Chicago with no issues on 2/11.  In fact, some saying it was sunny and nice out when they arrived in Chicago.  I understand when a flight gets cancelled due to weather but this flight was cancelled due to Southwest not being prepared/able to handle the flights that they had provided for customers to book.  Chicago has 4-6 months of winter a year. That is not new. Southwest was not prepared and they should reimburse or give vouchers to the customers who were displaced. 

Re: 200+ Chicago flights cancelled because there is not enough deicing solution?

CRamos12
Explorer C

Was in the same boat, I’d love to know what southwest will do for long term customers?

Dan08
Explorer C

My flight was also cancelled and my whole party was stuck in Vegas. Not a cheap stop, lost wages from missing work and paying a sitter for an extra day. I didn't even find out it was deicing problems until I saw it on the news. Completely unacceptable.

I'm currently on a 38 min hold with Southwest executive line 855 234 4654 option 5, going to see if they are willing to compensate us. This is definitely the last time I will use Southwest if they don't make it right.

Dan08
Explorer C

After finally getting a hold of them(45min wait time) they offer a $150 voucher. And then blamed it on Chicago Midway for not having enough solution. Southwest lost a customer, and if anyone starts a class action I'll gladly help another lawyer get rich.

GJB
Explorer C

100% On Southwest. All other airlines were operating normally. Southwest had mechanical issues with de-icing equipment, and lied to customers. 

They need to try and make it right, impacted people significantly and they have not made an effort to do anything about it.

Class action lawsuit all the way.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1FW22I

TKR
Explorer C

$150 Voucher for me as well. Does not even begin to help with the extra costs endured and loss of a day of work. This weather was predicted well in advance and it is the middle of winter in Chicago. (no surprise with that)

Martinchuick
Explorer C

I had my flight out to Denver cancelled on Friday feb 8th causing me to leave a day early therefore incurring plenty of extra costs on the trip. That was my choice. However, having the return flight home cancelled one hour before take off was truely upsetting. Then I was told they could not fly me home until Monday at 950pm. Unacceptable. I ended up paying out of pocket to another airline in order to get home at a reasonable hour the next day. Southwest couldn’t even get me to Milwaukee or Indianapolis so I could drive the rest of the way to Chicago. I honestly exhausted all options they gave me before I had to pay over 500 out of pocket. I look forward to hearing back from a representative considering everyone in the call center has no information for me. 

chucknaylor49
Explorer C

I wrote this letter to Southwest on February 12, 2018 and sent it with my receipts the following day to their Dallas offices.  I haven't heard anything so today I called.  I've been on hold for 30 minutes with another 18 to go (if their initial message was correct).   

To: The Management of Southwest Airlines

Folks,

I’m one of thousands who stood in line Sunday afternoon at Midway and heard the unbelievable news that All Southwest Flights were cancelled because your tanks of De-icer were empty.   How could that happen?  You were the good guys!!!  You mostly flew on time, acted like you cared and shot it straight at the gate.   Not true at Midway on Sunday.

I had flown the return leg of my round trip (Confirmation # WGESJ2),  a 7am from Oakland to Albany NY.  After two-plus hours standing in line at Midway the best you could do was a 9:55pm flight the next day.  Oh sure, I got some water and snacks and lots of “concern and apology” with no meat on the bone.   I needed a place to sleep and there was no offer to take care of anyone. I’m 68, had a back surgery and have enough other medical issues that required more than, “sir we are sorry but this is a weather issue blah blah blah, you’ll need to take it up with our corporate office“.    

I can’t haul around my checked luggage, (that’s why I check it) so I had to leave it on the plane.  Assessing my options I decided to try to get home by train.  I took a 3 dollar Chicago subway to Union Station , walked 4 blocks in the Chicago winter in a sports jacket, bought a $100 ticket to Albany (ironically on my Southwest Visa Card) and waited until 1am when it left Chicago for Albany NY.   I arrived at 4:45pm yesterday into the Albany Train Station then had to get a ride to the airport to pick up my car and luggage .  Still the train was faster than Southwest by 6 or 7 hours.

You disappointed me Southwest. You should  have foreseen the weather (I do and I plan accordingly) or you could have borrowed or bought deicer from O’Hare, (maybe put another tank in the ground for a snowy day?).   The excuses I heard from your people were very weak.   And you had 4 agents at the 2 desks to clear 2 lines that snaked a hundred yards down the terminal. (Put a few more agents on the numerous desks that were available).

I’d like reimbursement for my expenses (all receipts attached). They total $136.89 which includes $100 train, my meals, extra day parking, my subway ride and I’d like my Rapid Rewards points back (or do what you used to do, give me a couple round-trip tickets).   And please don’t do this to other people again.  It causes such heartache and hassle.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@chucknaylor49wrote:

I wrote this letter to Southwest on February 12, 2018 and sent it with my receipts the following day to their Dallas offices.  I haven't heard anything so today I called.  I've been on hold for 30 minutes with another 18 to go (if their initial message was correct).   

To: The Management of Southwest Airlines

Folks,

I’m one of thousands who stood in line Sunday afternoon at Midway and heard the unbelievable news that All Southwest Flights were cancelled because your tanks of De-icer were empty.   How could that happen?  You were the good guys!!!  You mostly flew on time, acted like you cared and shot it straight at the gate.   Not true at Midway on Sunday.

I had flown the return leg of my round trip (Confirmation # WGESJ2),  a 7am from Oakland to Albany NY.  After two-plus hours standing in line at Midway the best you could do was a 9:55pm flight the next day.  Oh sure, I got some water and snacks and lots of “concern and apology” with no meat on the bone.   I needed a place to sleep and there was no offer to take care of anyone. I’m 68, had a back surgery and have enough other medical issues that required more than, “sir we are sorry but this is a weather issue blah blah blah, you’ll need to take it up with our corporate office“.    

I can’t haul around my checked luggage, (that’s why I check it) so I had to leave it on the plane.  Assessing my options I decided to try to get home by train.  I took a 3 dollar Chicago subway to Union Station , walked 4 blocks in the Chicago winter in a sports jacket, bought a $100 ticket to Albany (ironically on my Southwest Visa Card) and waited until 1am when it left Chicago for Albany NY.   I arrived at 4:45pm yesterday into the Albany Train Station then had to get a ride to the airport to pick up my car and luggage .  Still the train was faster than Southwest by 6 or 7 hours.

You disappointed me Southwest. You should  have foreseen the weather (I do and I plan accordingly) or you could have borrowed or bought deicer from O’Hare, (maybe put another tank in the ground for a snowy day?).   The excuses I heard from your people were very weak.   And you had 4 agents at the 2 desks to clear 2 lines that snaked a hundred yards down the terminal. (Put a few more agents on the numerous desks that were available).

I’d like reimbursement for my expenses (all receipts attached). They total $136.89 which includes $100 train, my meals, extra day parking, my subway ride and I’d like my Rapid Rewards points back (or do what you used to do, give me a couple round-trip tickets).   And please don’t do this to other people again.  It causes such heartache and hassle.  

Please let us know how it works out.