Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

737 Max Grounded in U.S.

SWDigits
Aviator A
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/03/13/boeing-shares-fall-after-report-says-us-expected-to-ground-737-m...

Edited to quote the FAA statement found in the article:
"The FAA is ordering the temporary grounding of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operated by U.S. airlines or in U.S. territory. The agency made this decision as a result of the data gathering process and new evidence collected at the site and analyzed today. This evidence, together with newly refined satellite data available to FAA this morning, led to this decision.
The grounding will remain in effect pending further investigation, including examination of information from the aircraft's flight data recorders and cockpit voice recorders. An FAA team is in Ethiopia assisting the NTSB as parties to the investigation of the Flight 302 accident. The agency will continue to investigate."

The article indicates that all airborne MAX aircraft will continue to their intended destinations and be grounded at that point.

Customer | Home airport DCA
6 REPLIES 6

Re: 737 Max Grounded in U.S.

Kcscillian
Explorer C

Anyone know what happens to the flights tomorrow?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

With flights in the coming days I'm guessing Southwest will try to swap the plane with the 800 or 700 if they can otherwise I'm guessing they will have no choice but to cancel flights.

The best advice is to check your flight status on Southwest.com or the mobile app 

-Blake

SWDigits
Aviator A
For reference this is the official page for Southwest media announcments:

https://www.swamedia.com/

The latest release states, in part: "Our goal is to operate our schedule with every available aircraft in our fleet to meet our Customers' expectations during the busy spring travel season. Additionally, to support our Customers, Southwest is offering flexible rebooking policies. Any Customer booked on a cancelled MAX 8 flight can rebook on alternate flights without any additional fees or fare differences within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city pairs. A Travel Advisory with additional information for Customers will be posted on Southwest.com."

Customer | Home airport DCA

ronda3
Explorer C

I’d like to know about flights tomorrow also

Mcgr53
Explorer B

@southwest It should have been done 2 days ago, and the President, should have said to you guys, #United and #American #Groundtheplane Not impressed with how slow this was. I am a loyal Southwest Customer, I trust your pilots, and your flight attendants, both of which had different opinions. Your CEO should have taken action immeadiaty before ANYONE else. You kept flying and flying and flying. I hope people realize what you all did, and that you never wait again. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Southwest Statement on grounding of MAX8 aircraftSouthwest Statement on grounding of MAX8 aircraft

here is the statement posted on the official Southwest Twitter account