Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Annoying things your co-passengers do

byrdbrain591
Adventurer C

Are there people not following the rules? Does the person to your left take both armrests? Does someone hog the overhead with a lot of bags? Does anyone sneak smelly food onto the aircraft?  Does someone talk loudly on the cell? Let's go over some incidents. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Annoying things your co-passengers do

jksobonya
Aviator A

I remember once a passenger in the middle seat brought an entire container of freshly prepared hot chicken wings with a pungent spice (not your standard buffalo) on board. And ate. Them. All. 

I LOVE wings but please Lord do not eat them on an airplane!!

--Jessica

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@byrdbrain591, in your post, you refer to rules and I am not sure to what rules you are referring?  Unwritten rules?  I expect that the only written rule would be to keep one's hands to oneself.  Unfortunately people in the air are exactly like people on the ground except much closer.  Sure, there are lots of annoyances, and different things annoy different people.  Fortunately, there are a few unexpected delights as well, such as the frequent flyer who keeps a small toy to give away to an unhappy child seated nearby or the person sharing their drink coupons, the book lover who shares some good tips when questioned or the middle seat person who slides in and folds up to sleep quietly.  

I hope you encounter many of these folks on future flights.  

searsdp04
Explorer C

I sleep when I fly and so I really don't get annoyed. Though last time, there were two people talking loudly behind me, keeping me awake. They were both college professors though and their discussion was very interesting! However I still would have liked to sleep!

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

Drunk guy next to me on a flight from MDW to RNO.  I was in the middle seat and he had the aisle seat.  After takeoff, the passenger in the row ahead of him reclined their seat.  He then proceeded to beat his fist against the rear of their seat loudly saying "B----" until thankfully the cabin altitude must've gotten to hem and he finally passed-out and snored all the way to Reno!  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

We're sorry to hear this, @Cable-TV-Guy. In the future, please feel free to reach out to a Flight Attendant onboard. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to reach out via the options below. Thanks!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

TNX!  This was my first trip and second flight on Southwest.  Since the guy passed-out pretty quick, it wasn't worth bothering one of the FA's.

Besides... he slept through the erst of the trip, but also the landing and takeoff of our stop at LAS!  When we got to Reno, one of the FA's had to wake him up so the guy in the window seat and I could deplane.  The priceless part was when he asked the FA (with a slur in his voice), "Are we in Vegas yet?"  Seems he was supposed to get off there!  When the FA said, "We're in Reno, sir", the guy says "That'll do", grabs his bag out of the bin, and stumbles off the plane!  The FA, the guy in seat A, and I all shared a good laugh!   

Cable-TV-Guy
Adventurer C

Here's one for the books:  Recent flight I was on... I was in an aisle seat.  In my peripheral vision, I saw the passenger in the aisle seat across from me open their laptop and proceed to edit what turned out to be an adult video for a podcast!  SMH!!!  Fortunately, I didn't see any kids walking towards the forward lav.  When I went to the lav, I mentioned it to one of the FA's.  She told me I wasn't the first to mention it to her.  And, that she and the other FA's had made trips up the aisle trying to catch the passenger doing this.  But, she said unless she and another FA saw it for themselves, they couldn't even ask the person to close the laptop.  

I mention this as one of SWA's competitors is now training their FA's on how to deal with passengers viewing X-rated videos on-board.  I'm not a prude.  Nor am I a voyeur.  But, as a retired TV engineer and long-time tech geet, I notice when people use electronics.  As I said before, this one had me SMH!