Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Boeing 737 8 Max

Bigstick22
Explorer C

You are really going to bring Trump into this. You are a lost cause...feel bad for you.

revdkenhoward
Explorer C

@Bigstick22 As Queen Gertrude said in Hamlet, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

First, unless I missed it or it's been deleted, I don't see where anyone but you has mentioned Mr. Trump in this thread.

Second, if one had mentioned Mr. Trump, there would seem to me to be more than adequate reason to do so, given the fact that:

1. he has left the position of FAA director open for more than two years, with only an acting director in place, who as such is more vulnerable to pressure from the president,
  2. the only named person he has put forward is his personal pilot and "manager of the Trump campaign air fleet" (if 1 commercial jet, 1 private jet, and 2 helicopters even qualifies as a "fleet"), and
  3. the president of Boing has been on the phone lobbying the president almost daily not to ground the 737MAX fleet,
  4. despite the rising number of countries grounding them AND even prohibiting overflights by them, and
  5. the publically available FAA database contains numerous pilot complaints for similar malfunctions in the control software causing the same "pitch forward" problem.

And to quote you, since you are the one who specifically brought Trump into this..."feel bad for you" too.

travelingjoe
Explorer C

Go to the SWA website to book a flight.  Type in the date of travel and destination and when the the screen shows flight options, click on the Flight 1823.  it will show you the plane that is assigned currently.

JorVilla44
Explorer C

I went to the southwest website as if I was going to book a new flight.  The "Aircraft type" is listed if you hover your mouse over the flight number and number of seats.  My flight showed 737-700 with 143 seats.  The 737 Max 8 and 737-800 seats 175 people.  Hope this helps someone looking for the same info.

Thanks,

Jorge

armone
Explorer C

U are braver ... then me . Travel safe ... Never regret

binarystars
Explorer C

While the pilots are excellent and well trained, a castastrophic failure in the air will likely lead to the deaths of all on-board.  The pilots' assertion is not an answer and is in no way comforting.  My wife and I are scheduled on two separate SW flights within the next four months and we will be canceling them and finding another airline that has grounded these planes. 

After 30 years of designing complex satellite systems, I can guarantee you that two catastrophic failures in less than six months is a real RED FLAG.  No company would buy or launch another satellite until the cause of the failure was scientifically determined and corrected.  Imagine if NASA continued to fly the space shuttles without a FULL investigation and resolution of the UNDERLYING cause of their two deadly failures.   Why are airplanes any different?  I know why: because they are revenue generating machines that cannot possibly be grounded.  And any lawsuits that arise from the operators' negligence will cost SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than the sum of all the revenues to SW.

WE WILL NOT BE FLYING SW UNTIL IT GROUNDS THIS DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN, like so many other countries have.  And don't give the excuse that the FAA has not ordered their grounding--who knows what that agency's motivations are!!!

rrbarry
Explorer C

Me too! We just booked our family's summer vacation to Seattle and found out that one of our flights is a Boeing 737 Max 8. We'll be cancelling if this doesn't change.

JorVilla44
Explorer C

As I stated earlier, so far it looks like my flight is on a 737-700 but I will be looking for the markings and the Cheveron Nozzle (kind of looks like teeth) towards the back of the engine.  If I see that they swap the aircraft I will have to make a decision at that moment.

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

It looks like the decision has been made for you:

"President Donald Trump said he is issuing an executive order Wednesday grounding all Boeing 737 Max jets".  (source: cnbc)

syber2th
Explorer C

I have a flight in the future.  Would like to know what I should do if my flight is affected by the grounded planes