Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Business Select Free Drink

tkhagan
Explorer C

I am traveling Business Select today. My electronic boarding pass had a free drink coupon. However, now that we are boarded, the pass will not pull up, so I have lost my free drink. The flight attendant was not helpful at all (rare for SWA and really surprised me) and just stated that it should still  be on my app. 

Is there a remedy here, or did I just lose out?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Business Select Free Drink

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

You should be able to connect to the WiFi (if equipped) and pull up the SW app, assuming you have it installed on your phone.

You would also be able to access the SW website. Get on the WiFi, navigate to southwestwifi.com, and then you can link directly to SW’s regular site from there. You can sign in and show the flight attendant. 

I totally understand your frustration, but I discussed a similar situation with a flight attendant once before; it is fair for them to be strict on this because, unfortunately, people often try to say they are entitled to a free drink when they aren’t. 

In the future, I recommend saving the boarding pass to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay when you check in so it’s accessible anytime with or without a signal. 

Good luck!!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

tkhagan
Explorer C

I can get to the app and the site, but cannot retrieve my boarding pass and coupon. 

I agree that rules should be enforced. I thought, though, that showing the flight detail on my app indicating Business Select would convince the flight attendant.

I fly SWA nearly every week, but not usually Business Select. I usually screenshot my boarding pass, but only the top part with the bar code. 

Lesson learned. In two weeks, I have another Business Select flight and will definitely save my pass to Apple Wallet. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tkhagan wrote:

I can get to the app and the site, but cannot retrieve my boarding pass and coupon. 

I agree that rules should be enforced. I thought, though, that showing the flight detail on my app indicating Business Select would convince the flight attendant.

I fly SWA nearly every week, but not usually Business Select. I usually screenshot my boarding pass, but only the top part with the bar code. 

Lesson learned. In two weeks, I have another Business Select flight and will definitely save my pass to Apple Wallet. 

Did you ask the FA? They probably will just give you the beverage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tkhagan
Explorer C

Initially, I thought she was not willing to be helpful. But I am happy to say that I misunderstood what she was telling me and all is well now. 

I did give her a Kick Tail card for having to deal with my cranky morning self. 

Once again, SWA comes through with the best customer service in the industry!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@tkhagan wrote:

Initially, I thought she was not willing to be helpful. But I am happy to say that I misunderstood what she was telling me and all is well now. 

I did give her a Kick Tail card for having to deal with my cranky morning self. 

Once again, SWA comes through with the best customer service in the industry!

HA --- now that is a rarity -- a previously cranky passenger who is now happy! Thanks for reinforcing the FA's good behavior by handing out a kick tail!!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I once gave a FA a Kick Tail for a drink instead of a drink coupon because I had the KT with me, but I didn't have the coupon. LOL

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

I once gave a FA a Kick Tail for a drink instead of a drink coupon because I had the KT with me, but I didn't have the coupon. LOL

LOL!  If you got a drink, the FA earned the kick tail!!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@tkhagan wrote:

I am traveling Business Select today. My electronic boarding pass had a free drink coupon. However, now that we are boarded, the pass will not pull up, so I have lost my free drink. The flight attendant was not helpful at all (rare for SWA and really surprised me) and just stated that it should still  be on my app. 

Anyway - to solve your issue for next time - if you are using iOS always download your boarding pass to your wallet, or take screen shots. As you noted the airline app won't regenerate the boarding pass after the scheduled departure, so this comes in handy even at the airport during big delays. 

In the iOS app if you download to the wallet you'll be able to scroll to a second screen to get the beverage ticket. It won't show on the first page but you can scroll, or I forget if you click to "more info" or something that opens the dialog that shows the BS fare.

You can also reprint the boarding pass at the gate to have a backup copy if you have time. (Assuming you didn't want to print one at check-in or else this question wouldn't have come up.)

Edit: sorry, I was reading out of order - what @elijahbrantley said about Apple Wallet / Google WhateverTheyCallIt.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@tkhagan wrote:

Anyway - to solve your issue for next time - if you are using iOS always download your boarding pass to your wallet, or take screen shots. As you noted the airline app won't regenerate the boarding pass after the scheduled departure, so this comes in handy even at the airport during big delays. 

In the iOS app if you download to the wallet you'll be able to scroll to a second screen to get the beverage ticket. It won't show on the first page but you can scroll, or I forget if you click to "more info" or something that opens the dialog that shows the BS fare.

You can also reprint the boarding pass at the gate to have a backup copy if you have time. (Assuming you didn't want to print one at check-in or else this question wouldn't have come up.)

Edit: sorry, I was reading out of order - what @elijahbrantley said about Apple Wallet / Google WhateverTheyCallIt.

Anyone using the andoid app should be able o save a copy of the boarding pass to either google pay or the phone's photo album.