Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the Air

Snacks, beverages, and live TV are all
part of Southwest's Inflight Hospitality.
Learn more here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I change to an open seat while in the air

DancingDavidE
Rising Star

@OHenk wrote:

"I'd get the FA, who would tell you to get... back in the seat you had at take off"

But would he/she?? Therein lies the question at the heart of this thread.

100% yes they would.

Can you move to a seat that no one has been sitting in? Probably you could do it. The FA do like to have people stay in their original seats though unless there is a need for relocation, so the issue goes  much deeper than whether you can take a seat from someone when they get up to use the lavatory.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Rising Star

I'd suggest that someone who has a problem with Southwest's open seating policy would be a better off flying a carrier that offers assigned seating (basically every other carrier), rather than think up inane, childish ways of (apparently) rebelling against that policy on board. Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Lindsey Employee
Employee

Admin here. Interesting conversation, and I think all parties involved have engaged in generally good spirits. That said, I think we all know this hypothetical conversation has the potential to head south, so I'm disabling additional comments. Thanks for playing. Smiley Wink

Lindsey
Community Manager
The Southwest Airlines Community

JamesK
New Arrival

@dfwskier that is helpful to know. But in your hypothetical, what if I told the FA it was my seat? Would you stamp your foot and say, “but I was here first?” And if I said, “no I was here first,” what developments could we expect? I’m legitimately curious what would happen.

Someone suggested a comparison to a movie theater and there I think if someone got up and left their seat, and then I took it, and they came back with an attendant to oust me, I might reasonably suggest that I had been there first, as demonstrated by my butt in the seat and theirs standing in the aisle.

JamesK
New Arrival

@dfwskier wrote:

Please take your click bait elsewhere.

But I was here first! You should be the one to go!