Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Center Seat Problems Resolved!

DonnaB
Explorer C

I have one simple solution to the problem of "being stuck in the center seat."
Attendants simply need to announce "a reminder" that the center seat has the right to use both armrests. 
People choose the end seats (window and aisle) because they know they have more room, while the center seat person is often required to sit with his or her arms across his or her chest anyway because they are usually more passive people ...unfair!

A simple announcement would clarify the use of armrests and allow center-seaters to be more comfortable!
THANK YOU!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Center Seat Problems Resolved!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

100% agree that the middle seat gets both armrests!

Re: Center Seat Problems Resolved!

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

After considering your proposal for such an announcement, it seems like fodder for more fighting.  I agree that center people should get the arm rests; however, making that announcement would likely just lead to resentment if people have in their earbuds and do not hear it or if two aggressive people land next to each other and both want the armrest.

When the attendant makes an announcement about using ear buds, I find myself getting more aggravated about the person who is using their iPad without them. I am more likely to dismiss their noise making than if the announcement was never made. 

I do not find center sitters to be more passive - a great many are just late to check in (inexperienced) or the late boarders.  I get the center seat when I go standby, and yes, I dutifully cross my arms and close my eyes but that is because I am claustrophobic and prefer not to touch anybody.

I like that you are thinking about what could make travels easier.  I am unfortunately not sure if an announcement would solve the issue or make it unexpectedly worse.