Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How do you like those new cattle car seats?

Amart
Explorer C

I flew recently on one of the newer interior flights. It was the worst flying experience bar none!  The new seats may as well be orange crates. The arm rests are as long as a fork to prevent you from wrestling your neighbor over elbow room!  But!  You can now use your elbow to punch your neighbor in the ribs whether you want to or not. And if you turn your head your bad breath will certainly be evident since their face will be next to yours!  I loved the huge gap between the back of the seats. I could reach my hand through and poke the passenger in the middle seat in front of me. And talk to them the entire trip. Wow! And did I say the arm rest was as uncomfortable as that fork!  I've got fat, not boney elbows but that arm rest bruised the bone. If you are boney bring a pillow. And bring a pillow for lumbar SUPPORT. THE TINY BIT THAT WAS ISNT THERE ANY LONGER. THINK: Orange crate.

Honestly ,someone should be fired over this design.  I flew Delta recently because I had to. Their new design is bad but not even this bad. Oh yes- one good point!  If you decide to look up you will see big circles of light!  Wow!  Who cares about the comfort of passengers if you can give them more light.....

what a failure....the seats in the airport are actually better.  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How do you like those new cattle car seats?

TravelReviewer
Explorer C

If you mean the new blue ones with the "adjustable head rests" - I cannot say enough bad about them.

I'm short and thin. The people on the sides of me were thin. We bumped elbows and shoulders the entire flight. There are no armrests to speak of. There is NO padding - think cardboard. There is canvas instead of padding in the lumbar region, and the so-called head rest is not usable for anyone under 6'5". The depth of the seat is like a picnic bench: it cuts off our leg circulation, hittin your thighs at about mini-skirt length, and TILTS UP at the bottom, throwing your entire body off kilter.

The new seats are so horrifically horrible that I will not be flying SWA again unless I absolutely have to - that, after ove 30+ years of ONLY flying SWA for my domestic flights, and I won't torture the family members I treat to flights, either. We're looking for an airline where people don't have to sit on torture "seats".

Why not just have us all stand up, back-to-butt and shoulder to shoulder, with harnesses on? It might just be more comfortable. I'm still in pain from a flight under 4 hours yesterday.

Re: How do you like those new cattle car seats?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TravelReviewer wrote:

We're looking for an airline where people don't have to sit on torture "seats".

Good luck. 😉 Unless you pay more for a premium seat, there aren't many good options these days, as carriers find new ways to stuff as many people as possible into their planes.

I miss the Southwest seats pre-Evolve days.