Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lack of Electrical Outlets On Planes

pilot689
Explorer C

This topic has been ignored by Southwest and should be addressed. 

We need power outlets to work on our jobs and this we can spend money to buy more flights.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Lack of Electrical Outlets On Planes

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While perhaps not the answer you want to hear, Southwest has definetely addresssed this topic.  Their response is that they are not going to add outlets.  Southwest's rationale is that not adding the equipment saves money on the equipment and installation, plus they save on fuel costs with lighter planes, thus they can keep ticket prices lower.  You're welcome to bring an external battery pack, but I'd suggest enjoying a nice nap.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

bec102896
Aviator A

I don't see outlets coming anytime soon to Southwest's planes if they come at all it would be many years out. 

my suggestion is to bring your device fully charged and if you use the device in the airport use it while on the charger as most devices should last the whole flight unless it's the 6 hour flight such as EWR to SAN but after a few hours of staring at a computer I figure that would make a person tired and want to take a nap as @TheMiddleSeat suggested. If you have a layover you could charge it while waiting on the connecting flight as well. 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@pilot689 wrote:

This topic has been ignored by Southwest and should be addressed. 

We need power outlets to work on our jobs and this we can spend money to buy more flights.

It has been addressed, Southwest was pretty clear in a press release that they don't want the extra weight or power use on their planes and they said they would not be installing them on the new orders.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.