Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Missing exit row seat

Shawn555
Explorer C

I've noticed on most Southwest aircraft that the exit row on the left center of the plane is missing a seat, but not the right center. Why is this?

IMG_45365.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Missing exit row seat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Shawn555 wrote:

I've noticed on most Southwest aircraft that the exit row on the left center of the plane is missing a seat, but not the right center. Why is this?

IMG_45365.jpg

The moderator will have to approve your graphic - I assume you are talking about row 11 here on the 737-700:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-700_new.php

I think it will be for easier access to the exit door during an emergency. The way that the doors line up with the rows of seating, it wasn't necessary for access on the right hand side with the longer legroom.

The 737-800's are symetrical and have three exit rows on each side, including a two-seat row on both left and right hand sides of the aircraft:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_new.php

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Cue the “Southwest First Class” jokes...

Yup...all about exit access!

It’s always nice to sit in that mega extra legroom seat, but you lose out on convenient tray table access since it is in the armrest. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@elijahbrantley wrote:

Cue the “Southwest First Class” jokes...

Yup...all about exit access!

It’s always nice to sit in that mega extra legroom seat, but you lose out on convenient tray table access since it is in the armrest. 

"Hidden first class" is in the rows 4-10 or so, as the overhead bins fill up the late boarders will head to the back. Then after stowing their items, head back forward to fill the middles, but they often won't make it back past the wings unless the flight is completely full.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

byrdbrain591
Adventurer C

Is this so favorite a seat that you have to get on the plane extra early to snag it? Just wondering.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

@byrdbrain591 Generally, this is the first exit row seat to be chosen, and I would say that 9/10 times+, it will be taken by someone in the first half of the A boarding group.

Note that pre-boarders cannot choose to sit in the exit row.

-A List, Companion Pass holder