Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet Paranoia

RainbowMcFuzzy
Explorer C

Hello folks,

I've made a post before asking for advice about pet travel. There's one question that's been eating at me and we're booking our flight tomorrow and I hope someone can help.

I know that the "reservation" is not a guarantee to get your pet onboard. So how can I ensure that he does? We are moving halfway across the country and leaving him behind is not an option.

I know that getting to the airport early is the best advantage we have, but what about the rest of our journey? Is there a chance halfway through our journey one of the planes will say "sorry he can't come on"?

I'm just worried sick that we will be turned away.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Pet Paranoia

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@RainbowMcFuzzy wrote:

Hello folks,

I've made a post before asking for advice about pet travel. There's one question that's been eating at me and we're booking our flight tomorrow and I hope someone can help.

I know that the "reservation" is not a guarantee to get your pet onboard. So how can I ensure that he does? We are moving halfway across the country and leaving him behind is not an option.

I know that getting to the airport early is the best advantage we have, but what about the rest of our journey? Is there a chance halfway through our journey one of the planes will say "sorry he can't come on"?

I'm just worried sick that we will be turned away.

I'll give a caveat that I'm not an expert at pet travel - so someone else will have to chime in on the "how to get your pet boarded" question.

But in regard to the second part, if you did get the pet boarded at your origination airport - I don't see how Southwest would then not allow you to board a connection with the pet, that would be too strange. Unless they actually rebook you (and pet) on a later flight or something - that doesn't sound very likely though. So I'm expecting that as long as you get off to a good start, they must be sure that you'll get to your destination with your pet.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.