Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Redeeming Reward Points for WIFI

Cozschmoe
Explorer C

C'mon SW.  I was an A-List Perferred member last year.  Lost it at the turn of the year by a few flights.  Consequently I lost my free WIFI access that I use for work, etc.  I have alomost a million points I can redeem for flights, but I have to drag out the credit card to pay eight bucks for the privelege of doing work on the flight?  Why can't I just use my points?  Its a small fixed fee for cry'n out loud.  

C'mon SW... you guys are thought leaders in the industry.  I'd prefer to fly with you than any other carrier... surely you can figure out how to help this situation.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Redeeming Reward Points for WIFI

bec102896
Aviator A

Unfortunately they don't allow you to use points on wifi. 

I wish they would let us use points on wifi as well maybe in the future that will be an option as I would definitely take advantage if I don't reach A List preferred for any reason.

Just curious would anyone else here in the community use points for wifi access and how many points would you spend to get wifi for the day? 

Blake 

LuvJet
Explorer C

I like your idea in using points for wifi, hopefully that idea can be incorporated into a future update.  Another idea might be to give WIFI coupons like they give drink tickets to loyal RR members.  I also hear you regarding pulling out the creditcard. It would be great if we could just log into our rr account and use the card already on file to charge the service.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you use the current point redemption rates that is used for flights you're looking at WiFi costing somewhere in the 500-600 point range. Perhaps they would round it up to an even 1000 for simplicity. I personally wouldn't be interested very often, I'm usually trying to avoid being connected while flying, but I think that could be very interesting to a lot of people.

Other ideas that have been floated around include the coupon idea that was mentioned, perhaps even making those electronic/digital coupons in your account. Now that drink prices have increased they are closer to being able to say they can be redeemed for either WiFi or drinks. Or include WiFi in Business Select tickets like one drink is currently included. Or allow prepay for WiFi so you have credit in your account, maybe buy 4 WiFi credits get one free. Hopefully Southwest continues to adapt as WiFi usage increases.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

If you use the current point redemption rates that is used for flights you're looking at WiFi costing somewhere in the 500-600 point range. Perhaps they would round it up to an even 1000 for simplicity. I personally wouldn't be interested very often, I'm usually trying to avoid being connected while flying, but I think that could be very interesting to a lot of people.

Other ideas that have been floated around include the coupon idea that was mentioned, perhaps even making those electronic/digital coupons in your account. Now that drink prices have increased they are closer to being able to say they can be redeemed for either WiFi or drinks. Or include WiFi in Business Select tickets like one drink is currently included. Or allow prepay for WiFi so you have credit in your account, maybe buy 4 WiFi credits get one free. Hopefully Southwest continues to adapt as WiFi usage increases.

--TheMiddleSeat

I'm all for coupons/punches and definitely electronic in your account, login and redeem!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The satelite bandwidth available for 2-way internet service is limited, which is why the service quality varies so drastically. If there are too many people using it, it slows to a crawl. (I've actually given up on even trying anymore, after getting burned many, many times.) It's also very expensive. Some reports I've read suggest that Southwest offers it at a net loss, just because to be competitive they have to at least appear to offer a service that business travelers require. There are some announced wifi improvements looming on the horizon -- I certainly hope they help with overall connectivity. But until that bandwidth opens up, or becomes cheaper, I very much doubt we'll be seeing any of the great suggestions made here offered.