Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Scam?

hobovr
Explorer C

Received the message below from SWASurprise&Delight@swasurpriseanddelight.com

Is this a scam?

Let's Get Connected!
For choosing us, we are choosing you-to celebrate! Enjoy the free WiFi on your trip. Use the code below to access the onboard WiFi for your upcoming flight.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Scam?

SWDigits
Aviator A

Probably the fastest way to get an answer is to get in touch with the Southwest Twitter team, their handle is available by clicking on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum pages.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

the fact that it came from @swasurpriseanddelight.com (instead of from southwest.com) tells me that it did not come from the airline. Thus likely phishing or a scam.

bec102896
Aviator A

@hobovr 

I do know Southwest will surprise and delight customers from time to time but usually it's when your communicating with the airline like on Twitter. 

I was given 5k points once from the surprise and delight program but I got an email from points.com showing the deposit of points. It is possible that that email address is actually Southwest. 

**Did the WiFi code start with SWA- (4 numbers) if so it culd be a valid WiFi code as i have received some codes in the past which were all SWA- (4 numbers) 

-Blake 

hobovr
Explorer C

The wifi code given did NOT start with SWA, so along with the fact that the email address was NOT southwest.com, doubtful that it's from Southwest. Although I found mention of Southwest's Social Surprise & Delight Program here:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Vote-for-Southwest-in-the-Lithy-A...

A scammer could have used that known program to create the email address, though, thinking recipients would believe it was Southwest. Have submitted an inquiry to Southwest inquiring whether what I received was legit. 

bec102896
Aviator A

I would then recommend sending southwest a message on Twitter or though the "contact us" link letting them know about the email. I would also include a screenshot of the email with email address so they can investigate. 

-Blake 

jksobonya
Aviator A

Please report back and let us know, this is the first I have heard of this particular program!

--Jessica

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

It's legit! I just verified that our Hospitality Operational Support Team (HOST) does in fact send out surprises via that email. Enjoy the complimentary WiFi.

Nicole
Community Manager

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@hobovr wrote:

Is this a scam?

Let's Get Connected!
For choosing us, we are choosing you-to celebrate! Enjoy the free WiFi on your trip. Use the code below to access the onboard WiFi for your upcoming flight.

Southwest has had this type of program and used the terminology before although I had only heard of Surprise and Delight given in person.

I would lean towards "legit" based on the fact that there isn't any phishing link - you'll either get the code to work or it won't...there's no opportunity to collect your info other than any graphics that might be in the email or other embedded malware.

Entering the code itself when you get onboard I think you may find this to be a legitimate bonus for flying Southwest, as long as you don't have to enter any personal info to claim the code why not try it?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@hobovr wrote:

Is this a scam?

I would lean towards "legit" based on the fact that there isn't any phishing link - you'll either get the code to work or it won't...there's no opportunity to collect your info other than any graphics that might be in the email or other embedded malware.

Entering the code itself when you get onboard I think you may find this to be a legitimate bonus for flying Southwest, as long as you don't have to enter any personal info to claim the code why not try it?

Hey - nailed it!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.