Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Airlines grounded 34 airplane due to FAA's order

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

Someone mentioned that Southwest airlines ground some airplane like what? 3 times this year due to incomplete maintenance on aircrafts. As I find a quote from the news recently over a weeks ago.:

"The move was sudden and therefore, surprising, not just for flyers at large but also for authorities concerned. After finding out that maintenance paperwork is not in compliance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) safety directives, Southwest Airlines had grounded 34 Boeing 737-700 aircraft on Thanksgiving Eve."

This is coming to my understanding that the paperwork is not following up with the maintenance. 

I like to ask everyone to be viligant. Remember what happened a few months back. I was hoping that everyone will fly safe as long the inspections ensure that the aircraft are in safety mechanical condition. 

Since, I was told of that the Southwest has grounded several aircraft three times this year. Please think about it.

I was hoping that the A.D.A are after them too...

Here are one of my pick from the news headline:https://www.zeebiz.com/world/news-aviation-alert-southwest-airlines-grounds-34-planes-know-why-73397

Yup.... we all wanna know why???? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Southwest Airlines grounded 34 airplane due to FAA's order

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Another over sensationalized aviation news story.  Southwest had already completed the voluntary inspections, but grounded the planes to ensure the paperwork was in order.  I would much rather have the inspection completed and paperwork not quite right than the other way around.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, middleseat, I follow several airline blogs. Here's what I've learned about this situation:

1) It appears that all aircraft were aquired used from other airlines

2) In reviewing the records Southwest found that some of the paperwork on the aquired aircraft was incomplete

3) Southwest grounded the planes one evening, and corrected the records overnight for almost all of them. The FAA did not order the planes grounded.

4) Almost all of the planes made their regularly scheduled flights the next morning

5) A grand total of 9 flights were cancelled becasue the paperwork issue had not yet been completed on a few planes

6) The planes were not unsafe. The prior owners apparantly just did not keep up with paperwork as they should have. Southwest did what the FAA requires it to do: ground the planes to either fix the planes or fix the paperwork.

7) All Southwest had to do was correct the paperwork.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I have heard that Thanksgiving Day is also a one of the slower days of the year for travel, as opposed to the day before Thanksgiving and weekend after, so although the article points it out as holiday trave, from all reports Thanksgiving Day is actually a good day to be down for paperwork.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

Naw..... It is likely a busy day a day before and holiday.. Peoples might not have a time off to fly and had to wait until holiday to fly away. Smiley LOL

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

Or they were too busy to complete the paperwork and knew the risk of F.A.A. after them...Smiley LOL