Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Synracuse

Jeannenewberry
Explorer C

I have been watching/hoping/waiting for SWA to announce service to SYR (Syracuse) for over 15 years...Is anyone else out there also interested in service to SYR?  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Synracuse

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jeannenewberry wrote:

I have been watching/hoping/waiting for SWA to announce service to SYR (Syracuse) for over 15 years...Is anyone else out there also interested in service to SYR?  

Are there any gates open? How far is it driving from Albany?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

Drive time is about 2 1/2 hours.

Less to Rochester.

sramza
Explorer C

Our son just started at Syracuse University and I am amazed that SWA does not fly there. The amout of students from the Midwest and West Coast continues to grow. There are so many families that are flying into Rochester, renting cars and driving to Syracuse. But for the holiday breaks the kids can't do that due to weather and they don't have cars. We would even have him meet family at BWI or DCA but can only get American to DCA.

There is construction going on at Syracuse  Airport and hope there is a campaign to get SWA there, students and professors need it for sure. Please come to 'Cuse!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I have once needed to travel to Syracuse for work. In that case, I flew another airline (and had a terrible experience).

I would recommend checking out Rochester or (as has been mentioned) Albany. 

Maybe one day, SW will get us to Syracuse! 🙂

-A List, Companion Pass holder

lbjacobs44
Explorer C

YES! This would really fill the need for true compeition for the legacy carriers. It would open gateways to connecting travelers as well, which central NY is currently lacking. As someone who lives in the western US and travels to Syracuse often, it would help immensly as nothing is worse than having to fly long haul on United or AA.

syrsanaviation
Explorer C

Southwest would love to serve SYR and If they hadn't bought Airtran (Which served ROC) they would likely be at SYR now. Its also important to note the SYR was a US Airways (RIP) hub which meant that most of the gates were used in 2012 (When SWA bought Airtran) so that might have discouraged them. However in 2019 SYR processed 2.5 million travelers which means that SYR will likely have 3 million travelers by AT LEAST Q2 2020  which would aid the airport in getting a new airline. If I had to guess id say its likely to be SWA but there is also an Amazon warehouse being built in Syracuse which could augment the pax numbers and likely add another airline. (SYR currently has service to 24 airports and is served by 9 different airlines and 4 cargo airlines).