Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

WiFi Clarification

chrisdjenkins
Explorer C

Can anyone tell me what apps are blocked when using the SW WiFi on a flight?  Is it possible to stream from Hulu or the ESPN App?  I know ESPN is one of the channels on the Free In-Flight Entertainment, but the ESPN app has more content.  I'll be flying a total of 8 hours on a Saturday and am wondering what my options are for watching football?  Is purchasing the WiFi worth it or a waste in this situation?  If it is, then I am relegated to games on Fox, CBS, NBC and ESPN, correct?  

The reason I ask is the game I'd really like to see is on ABC and will start after the flight begins and likely be over or close to the end when we land in San Jose.  Am I out of luck on that game?  

Lastly, what is the reliability of watching a game on one of the aforementioned Free channels?  Has anyone flown on a Saturday or Sunday since this football season started that can share?

Thanks in advance
Chris

7 REPLIES 7

Re: WiFi Clarification

dfwskier
Aviator A

Don't know the specific answer to your question, but I'll venture a guess

1) VOIP is not allowed

2) I suspect that anything that is a signal "hog" won't work. The amount of bandwidth is limited as it is, so 1 or 2 people streaming would basically shut down the service for everyone on the plane. Thus I suspect that streaming is out.

If anyone knows something different, please feel free to chime in.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

"In order to provide a top-notch WiFi experience, we prohibit access to certain high-bandwidth applications and websites, including Netflix, HBO GO® and VoIP."

Source: https://www.southwest.com/wifi/

Customer | Home airport DCA

chrisdjenkins
Explorer C

Which is why I asked about the ones they didn't specifically mention....  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Not clear to me if you're asking a follow up question or...???

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chrisdjenkins wrote:

You should make the assumption that no "signal hog" (ie streaming) function will work.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

To answer your question about reliability, when the service is working, which seems to be more often, but is still hit and miss, the free TV is pretty good, especially when cruising. You'll experience some interruptions when taking off or landing, but the time in between is pretty good. If however the system is down or unavailable for your flight then you're just out of luck. And as others have said, streaming other video is not going to work.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The free channels are good and will work if the WiFi is working. The game will be whatever game is shown in the NYC market.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.