Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

WiFi access denied.

Kathygibson
Explorer C

I have been unable to access WIFI onboard since January 1.  I travel a couple of times EVERY week on SWA and this is extremely inconvenient.  I have told flight attendants, gate agents, customer support, with no resolution.  I am an A-list member with well over 200k miles.  Could someone please addresss this.  I have been told by the flight attendants that this is a common problem. Why can’t you guys fix this????

9 REPLIES 9

Re: WiFi access denied.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Kathygibson,

I know that's frustrating. Have you tried clearing your cache? Also, you may want to try accessing it on both Chrome and Internet Explorer, sometimes it works better on one than the other. If your browser won't automatically open to the Southwest WiFi page, you can try typing in www.southwestwifi.com.

revdkenhoward
Explorer C

Same problem. I can connect to WiFi but not to internet. Not even the Southwest WiFi startup page. This has been happening for almost a year and I can never get any help. GoGo and Boingo have chat support but you guys don’t. 

Why cant you fix this?

SWDigits
Aviator A

@revdkenhoward you may want to take a look at this discussion thread with the latest response from @MarkHursh, Southwest Director of Digital Customer Platforms.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@revdkenhoward wrote:

Same problem. I can connect to WiFi but not to internet. Not even the Southwest WiFi startup page. This has been happening for almost a year and I can never get any help. GoGo and Boingo have chat support but you guys don’t. 

Why cant you fix this?

When you get conected, what happens?

After getting connected have you tried:

getconnected.southwestwifi.com

TaraBamburg
Employee
Employee

Hey there, @revdkenhoward , can you share what device this is occurring on? What happens when you try connecting to www.southwestwifi.com in your browser after connecting to the "SouthwestWiFi" SSID? 

Thanks!

AlexVimont
Explorer C

I have the same issue. I try to connect with my iPhone and it doesn't work. I can connect to the WiFi but southwest entertainment site and other SW sites don't work. I had some success with iPad but not iPhone XS. 

TaraBamburg
Employee
Employee

Oh no! When you go to www.southwestwifi.com after connecting to the SouthwestWiFi SSID, does the Portal load at all? Or do you just get an error message?

AlexVimont
Explorer C

The browser loading bar gets about 1/5 of the total and stops. On the ground before the flight took off I noticed that he page loaded using data but as soon as I switched to airplane mode and tried getting on the network  had no success. One time out of repeatedly trying on multiple flights I did see the words for the menue such as movies, TV shows and so on but they were u detained and in a different font like only a fraction of the page loaded. No graphics or images.  

cfravel
Explorer C

I found a solution that might work for some people.

This was on my Android 12 phone

Somewhere along the line I had switched my DNS setting to use a private, encrypted DNS server.

Gut of course when first connecting to the inflight WiFi, you don't yet have internet access to access a private DNS server.

I fixed this, for inflight success, by going to
Android settings

Connections

More connection settings

Private DNS

Changing it from Private to either Automatic or Off