Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Worst Experience with Southwest

Jbarone22
Explorer C

Hello,

While I was traveling from Nashville to Chicago I was encountered with a situation that I felt was necessary to address. I was seated on an aisle seat when a large individual came and sat next to me. This person took up her and my seat and I was forced to literally sit sideways in the aisle! I never felt so uncomfortable on a plane in my entire life. The flight attendant repeatedly came over to me to move in and then she realized I had no room to move and offered me a complimentary drink. I find it unnecessary to have to travel in such discomfort. Below is a picture with what I had to experience. I never jumped out of my seat so quick as soon as the plane landed and we were cleared to move.

IMG_8837 (1).jpeg

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Worst Experience with Southwest

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry for your bad experience because of a passenger of size. 

i would recommend reaching out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 or in a DM on Twitter or if you would like to email them you can do so by clicking on the contact us link on the bottom of the southwest homepage.

Hope your next flight is more comfortable 

Blake  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Southwest actually allows free accomodation for this issue, the implementation gap is in getting the passenger of size to request the extra seat. If anyone is reading and thinking it would apply to them and wants to be more comfortable, here is the info:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-COS

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=extra_seat_policy

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I think another implementation gap is in getting OPs agents to proactively identify non-self identified COS's at boarding. I understand that there are many, many passengers who likely qualify as a COS, but fly using only one seat every day. And that it's difficult to tactfully address those who really need two. But an increase in vigilance would be appreciated.

Mobius
Explorer C

I've never understood why more people do not take advantage of this Southwest perk.  I'm a big dude... 6 foot 360 pounds... and mildly claustrophobic from being stuffed into an MRI machine one too many times.  

I only fly Southwest specifically because of their generous policy of refunding the cost of a 2nd seat.  I get to preboard and have room to breath... It's like poor man's first class.

I buy my 2 seats in advance every trip and one of the idiots at the counter always tells me that I did it wrong because I can just ask for one when I arrive at the airport.  I actually have printed cards with the relevant links to THEIR website that I hand them now because I'm tired of explaining that by purchasing two seats, I allow them to accurately plan for the occupancy of their planes so that I don't inconvenience my fellow travelers by getting someone bumped from a flight.  Sigh...