Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Your failure to act on the Boeing 737 8 MAX

cegperson
Explorer B

Very disappointed and concerned with you Southwest Airlines. I have been flying with you for over 15 years. And for you to disregard a real issue with the 737 Max planes in your fleet, a decision driven by I am sure the cost and financial burden that you would endure to make adjustmensts is unfathomable. People are dying. And God forbid there is another incident on your watch with one of these planes because you did not have the human decency to do the right thing, your airlines image, and whatever else you hold dear is going to be forever runined. Whoever is reading these posts at Southwest, please take a minute and think how would you feel about putting your own family members on an airline who would rather watch their profits than keep your family safe. This is the message you are sending out into the world, and trust me, People Are Paying Attention. I have personally talked to many freinds and family who are right now trying to cancel flights with you and find other airlines to fly on. Your lack of action to save money now, is going to be a downfall in the future when people do not feel confident flying with you. Remember ValuJet?? People Do Not Forget Negligence. Do the right thing. 

58 REPLIES 58

Re: Your failure to act on the Boeing 737 8 MAX

jib1945
Explorer C

+1

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's too early to know the cause of these incidents is related and anyone doing so is speculating.

--TheMiddleSeat

cegperson
Explorer B

Southwest could follow suit and ground these planes until the issue is both investigated and resolved. Otherwise do you want to fly on this plane knowing there is a 50/50 chance something is wrong with it?? Or if not 50/50 odds how about 70/30? What odds "not in favor of your safety" is acceptable to you?

I realize nothing in life is 100% guaranteed, but in light of what is going on, Southwest's failure to take these aircraft out of service until they can be checked and/or fixed, is a complete disregard for the safety of people who fly with them. It is absolutely deplorable. People need to fly, they have to trust that these airlines are doing everything they can to take care of them and their safety. These are peoples lives. It is not right.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cegperson wrote:

Southwest could follow suit and ground these planes until the issue is both investigated and resolved. Otherwise do you want to fly on this plane knowing there is a 50/50 chance something is wrong with it?? Or if not 50/50 odds how about 70/30? What odds "not in favor of your safety" is acceptable to you?

Southwest has 35 Max8s in the fleet.  They fly at least 6 legs a day. So the odds at Southwest in 2019 are a minimum of 0 in 15000 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, it appears that the FAA agrees with Southwest, AA, UA, and Air Canada that there is no reason to ground 737-Max8s

https://mobile.twitter.com/FAANews/status/1105192183244750849

cegperson
Explorer B

President Trump, speaking Wednesday afternoon at the White House, announced that the US would be issuing an "emergency order to ground all 737 Max 8 and the 737 Max 9, and planes associated with that line."

He added that both the FAA and Boeing were "in agreement with the action," and any planes currently in the air would continue to their destination where they will be grounded.

"Pilots have been notified, airlines have been all notified. Airlines are agreeing with this. The safety of the American people and all people is our paramount concern," the President said.

.........Yup. No need to say I told you so. I will always be dissapointed in Southwest for their lack to handle this on their own, but grateful to the governement for finally doing the right thing. 

RSH_Houston
Adventurer C

@dfwskier wrote:

@cegperson wrote:

Southwest has 35 Max8s in the fleet.  They fly at least 6 legs a day. So the odds at Southwest in 2019 are a minimum of 0 in 15000 

I believe you mean 1 in 15000. 0 would indicate perfect odds for this type thing never happening. However, 1 in 15000 is great odds if your playing the big buck lottery (lottery fools would be all over those odds!)! Maybe NOT so good for your death!Smiley Wink

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Ok everyone, it's clear you have very different opinions about this situation.  No amount of posting here is going to convince either of you to budge from your opinion and no amount of posting here is going to change what Southwest does (as this is a customer to customer forum).  Let's all remember to be respectful and if there are actual questions that can be answered here related to the Max 8 such as how to change flights or determine aircraft type then go ahead and post those questions.

Cool?

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As I posted earlier, political and financial reasons preclude Southwest from grounding their 737 MAX aircraft. As one of Boeing's top customers and the carrier with the largest number of MAX aircraft on order, they need to protect that investment and their commitment to the 737 in general, and make a clear statement that they see no safety issues with the MAX. So unless the FAA acts (which is also unlikely) Southwest won't ground the planes.

I do find it distressing that anyone believes any definitive statement that these planes are "safe." We just don't know that yet. It's as ridiculous to claim this as it is to declare right now that they are unsafe. We don't have data from the latest crash yet, so we don't know if the two crashes are related, and/or if both were caused by the same systems. That could be true and would mean there are serious issues, or the two crashes could just be an anomalous coincidence. There could be a completely new mechanical issue that caused the latest crash. We just don't know.

What we do know is that the LionAir crash was at least in part caused by the MCAS system, and that software updates to that system and new maintenance and training requirements will be mandated by the FAA. MAX aircraft are flying currently without those updates. The Ethiopian crash raises serious new questions that are yet unanswered. To me, it seems prudent to ground the planes until the software updates are completed.

But, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, it's very unlikely that will happen.

In the interim, it appears that -- through March 18th at least -- any Southwest customers who are uncomfortable flying on a MAX aircraft can make a one-time change to their itinerary. If you're affected you should be able to change your flight online. If not, contact Southwest and a phone rep should be able to help you.