Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

drink coupons vs. wifi connectivity

ybean
Explorer B

I have made the suggestion formally and informally in the past that SW consider giving an option to use the drink coupons for inflight internet connectivity. Every time I bring it up flight attendents and passengers love the idea and encourage sending it in again as an idea. 

But I always get the same response from a robot responder that there is no policy on that yet. HELLO? That is the point - get the idea to the luv group that creates luv for passengers and suggest it! I do not drink alcohol and as a very loyal passenger I would very much appreciate the once a year free wifi internet connection to do some live email in lieu of drink coupons that I cannot use.

I would luv to hear if I am alone or anyone else thinks this would be a good loyalty perk?

25 REPLIES 25

Re: drink coupons vs. wifi connectivity

HoneyBea
Explorer C

Why can it not be either wifi or a drink with the same coupon?

ybean
Explorer B

EXACTLY!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest buys internet connectivity bandwidth from their satellite provider, and it's not cheap. Also, the performance is often abysmal. With the challenges they currently have providing this service, it's unlikely they would make things worse (and using more bandwdth) by giving it away free to more customers.

This is requested frequently, but it's very unlikely it would happen anytime soon.

ybean
Explorer B

Chgoflyer - Thank you for that insight and for taking the time to share. I have never used it, so if they ever get a better provider, it would be a good thing to do. Interesting that none of the attendents ever said they had heard of the idea to combine the drink coupon with a free internet session. One even told me that they thought perhaps the company wouldn't do it because perhaps they feared the attendents would use the credits!

Introducing people to services (marketing) is how one gains more users. People get used to it and are willing to pay once they see the value. My background in the area has definitely proven that model of marketing. But as you say, if the product is defective, it will create more problems. I am willing to bet that a great company like SW is already working to solve the issue with the provider then.

No wonder they prefer to get people drinking! JK - I am actually a LUV fan and appreciate what they do give already, just can't take advantage of the coupons.

someguy
Explorer C

hi, i think a point to be made is that WiFi means wireless FREE internet!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm not sure what you mean.

Southwest planes (except the old 300s and newly purchased used 700s) have wifi that connects you to their in-cabin entertainment system, which includes content such as free (sponsored) live TV, and some pay movie options. In general, that system works pretty well.

To connect to the internet, you need to pay $8 (currently). This is the system we're discussing. That internet connectivity is iffy at best.

Tallkris
Explorer C

Instead of free drink or Wi-Fi coupons why not make it a flat dollar amount coupon. 

$5 off in flight whatever

You want to use it to get $3 WiFi great, you ebbs get a $5 beer for no charge that works too!

Best of both worlds. 

I use the drink coupons because I get them, but would rather have the discounted Wi-Fi. 

As for the Wi-Fi reliability I've been happy with it gaming on my tablet, not sure I'd want to use it to VPN into work though. 

FrontRowFlyer
Explorer A

How do you get drink coupons? I fly a lot and have never been given any. 

dfriedeljr
Explorer C

Actually, it doesn't, it's just an industry brand for the IEEE 802.xxx interface. Supposedly, it was also a play off hi-fi, to make a comparison to audio quality.