Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

BWI baggage

JAYbL
Explorer C

Is it me or have others experienced really long delays in getting bagage from SW planes arriving at BWI?

It seems that I always have about a 45 minute wait after getting off the plane to get may baggage at BWI. This has been going on for YEARS!

Yesterday was outrageous.  We had a problem after take off from Salt Lake City and had to return to get a new plane.  This was handled very well and I thought we were lucky to get to BWI after about a 5 hour delay.  But when we arrived a BWI after 1:00 AM we had to wait over another hour to get our baggage.  Another SW plane arrived after us and they got their bags first.

I think this is just routine for SW at BWI.  Anybody else have this type experience?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: BWI baggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While I don't have any personal experience with long waits for bags at BWI, I do think it's worth mentioning your experiences to Southwest customer relations. If you are a Twitter user I'd recommend sending this message to them there (@SouthwestAir) or you can view the other contact options on southwest.com.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JAYbL wrote:

Is it me or have others experienced really long delays in getting bagage from SW planes arriving at BWI?

It seems that I always have about a 45 minute wait after getting off the plane to get may baggage at BWI. This has been going on for YEARS!

Yesterday was outrageous.  We had a problem after take off from Salt Lake City and had to return to get a new plane.  This was handled very well and I thought we were lucky to get to BWI after about a 5 hour delay.  But when we arrived a BWI after 1:00 AM we had to wait over another hour to get our baggage.  Another SW plane arrived after us and they got their bags first.

I think this is just routine for SW at BWI.  Anybody else have this type experience?

45 minutes to an hour seems exceptionally long. As you pointed out the other plane arrived after you and got bags before you, so some flghts do get bags faster...just not yours.

I'm not a great judge, I'm often traveling with family and we're more likely to make one or more bathroom stops, grab a coffee, and then find the baggage services have already corraled our luggage at several Southwest airports (BWI included one time).

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@JAYbL wrote:

We usually fly out of DCA with Southwest but we flew back home through BWI this summer.  No issues retrieving our checked baggage in a timely manner, it was smooth for us.  That's the only recent BWI data point I'm able to share.

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A

I can't confirm wait times at BWI but at PHL it varies. I think the very late arrival time probably has something to do with the extra delay to get your bags - at least they got there! 

--Jessica

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I'm a fan of other airlines (looking at you, Delta) offering 2,000 miles if bags aren't on the belt by 20 minutes. Hopefully SWA will improve BWI baggage times soon!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger