Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I change to an open seat while in the air

JamesK
Explorer B

I’m thinking of waiting for someone in exit row to get up and then go take that open seat. Policy indicates there are no seat assignments and I’ve been directed to take any open seat. If it’s open...

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Can I change to an open seat while in the air

dfwskier
Aviator A

@JamesK wrote:

I’m thinking of waiting for someone in exit row to get up and then go take that open seat. Policy indicates there are no seat assignments and I’ve been directed to take any open seat. If it’s open...

You mean wait til you are in the air, waiting for a person with an exit row seat to get up and go (to the bathroom??).  That is not what Southwest means by take any open seat. I would STONGLY advise against doing that.

How would you feel if you had an aisle seat, went to the bathroom, and, upon return, found someone else in yor seat?

JamesK
Explorer B

How would I feel? Well, I wouldn’t care for it. But then I don’t care for free-for-all seating either. And aisle seats are the worst since you have to get up the most for the window and center seats to go to the bathroom.

I’m not sure why you’re advising against it though. Do you think I might annoy someone? Or do you think that policy is such that people can actually reserve their seat at some point, and then hold it for the duration of the flight? I see no sign that is the case, but maybe I’ve missed something. Southwests policy seems to leave seat negotiation entirely to customers.

For example, from what I’ve read it’s discouraged but not prohibited to attempt to save a seat for someone who is not in that seat. Seems like swapping seats while a prior occupant leaves it empty might fall into the same class of “please no, but OK if you really want to?”

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

On Southwest, we try to be civilized, just saying....

JamesK
Explorer B

Civilization has been assigning seats for some time. To me that’s civilized. Are you sure Southwest’s seating strategy is grounded in some great civility? Not sure I see it.

If we’re playing musical chairs on the plane, then let’s play!

OHenk
Explorer C

I love musical chairs. From my perspective, I think it's important to add an element of fun when on an airplane - what a way to pass the time!

OHenk
Explorer C

Let me give you an example: I was once on a flight - a Southwest flight, if you're curious - and a small dog escaped its owner's* dog-carrier/carry-on bag and the pup ran around the plane, running up and down the aisle, under the seats, etc. One person shouted out "good lord no!" but I thought to myself, "good lord yes!" Because really, what's the problem?!?! This it was kinda awesome!

Brining it back to the musical chairs example, I think airplane games would be a swell addition to the Southwest culture and I propose that LUV consider it.

Thoughts??

-------

*The fact that humans generally think we can *own* animals is another issue entirely. We can own them and then neuter them.... smh

JamesK
Explorer B

When that dog vacated its carrier bag, I’d contend that you could have taken its place, if you were so inclined and proportioned. Assuming of course that the music had stopped.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@JamesK wrote:

How would I feel? Well, I wouldn’t care for it. But then I don’t care for free-for-all seating either. And aisle seats are the worst since you have to get up the most for the window and center seats to go to the bathroom.

I’m not sure why you’re advising against it though. Do you think I might annoy someone? Or do you think that policy is such that people can actually reserve their seat at some point, and then hold it for the duration of the flight? I see no sign that is the case, but maybe I’ve missed something. Southwests policy seems to leave seat negotiation entirely to customers.

For example, from what I’ve read it’s discouraged but not prohibited to attempt to save a seat for someone who is not in that seat. Seems like swapping seats while a prior occupant leaves it empty might fall into the same class of “please no, but OK if you really want to?”

Well, I'll tell y what. If you did it to me. I'd get the FA, who would tell you to get your butt back in the seat you had at take off.  If you refused, I suspect you'd have police waiting at touchdown to discuss the matter with you. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if you had your TSA pre privileges revoked, and you might even earn a lifetime ban on the airline.

If you don't care for "free for all seating", why are you flying Southwest? You have plenty of other options available to you.

Please take your click bait elsewhere.

OHenk
Explorer C

"I'd get the FA, who would tell you to get... back in the seat you had at take off"

But would he/she?? Therein lies the question at the heart of this thread.