Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I have my carry on as a footrest in the front row?

Shlars1936
Explorer C

I recently had knee surgery, and would like to be able to prop my leg up for at least part of my 4 hour flight.  Can I take my carry on down after take off and use it as a footrest during the flight?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can I have my carry on as a footrest in the front row?

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Definitely not during take-off and landing, and I would guess that the option to use it during flight would depend upon the flight attendants, but you will not be able to extend your leg out into the aisle and the front row seat won't give you enough room to extend your leg.

my suggestion would be to book a 

super late flight and go to the back of the plane where you MIGHT get lucky and have an extra seat.  No guarantees though so if you need to extend and prop, you might want to wait to fly.  If you just want to elevate your bent leg, you might be able to do that in the front row.  

alternatively, if it is medically required, you might want to bring a current dated note from your doctor but I am unsure as to how SWA would accommodate.  I see people with long leg casts in the airport but never on the plane, and I know the attendants consider it a safety hazard (and an inconvenience to service) when the aisle is blocked.  

Thoughts from others?  

Shlars1936
Explorer C

I'm very short, so I think I can extend my leg, and can't change my flight. I guess I ask the flight attendant when I board, and see what they'll allow!  Thanks!

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@Shlars1936,

I hope it all works out well.  SWA flight attendants are the best in my view.  Hopefully the fact that there is not a drink cart will work in your favor.

Regarding the space between wall and seat in the front row, that may vary based upon type of aircraft.

Best of travels to you.  Hopefully you are traveling late so you can arrive and just relax/sleep/refresh after the flight.  

bec102896
Aviator A

From my experience in the bulk head row you can bring your bag down once you get above 10K feet and you can have it out until the final decent (at 10k feet). Keep in mind not all bulk head rows have tray tables (this matters to some if they are planning to do any computer work)