Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing a Flight

AN90
Explorer A

I recently changed my flight (because I was scheduled to be on the Maxx plane). The new flight cost quite a bit more than my original flight.  Now they have temporarily removed the Maxx planes from operation, so my original flight has a new plane. I was considering changing it back because it is cheaper and l I like the times better; however, I am afraid once they "fix" the Maxx planes issues, they will place that plane back in line on my original flight.  I am still concered about those planes, so I don't really want to be on there.  Any thoughts would be helpful. Do you think they will put that Maxx plane back on the original route it had once the issue is resolved, or leave the planes that are currently scheduled to make the trip.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Changing a Flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unfortunately no one here can provide a definitive answer for you. The flight you switched to could also be switched to the Max so it's a gamble either way. 

--TheMiddleSeat

AN90
Explorer A

Thank you for responding.  Gosh, I hadn't even thought about my new flight being changed too!  I will continue to watch both flights, hopefully they will stay with the planes they have currently have scheduled.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

How far away is your flight? At the moment it looks like MAX aircraft could be grounded for several months, but as others have mentioned there's no way to know for sure.

AN90
Explorer A

Hi. So sorry. I just saw your response.  Our trip is in May. I changed my flight to one that didnt have the Maxx 8 (before they were grounded) so I'm hoping they don't cancel it.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We understand your concerns pertaining to the grounding of our Boeing MAX 8 jets. While we do not know when they will return to service, please visit the link below for FAQs relating to the situation. As a peer to peer forum, we are not equipped to assist you with your reservation here, but you may contact any of our Customer Service channels should you continue having concerns leading up to your trip. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon as your patronage means the world to us!

Boeing 737 MAX 8 FAQs

Nicole
Community Manager

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@AN90 wrote:

I recently changed my flight (because I was scheduled to be on the Maxx plane). The new flight cost quite a bit more than my original flight.  Now they have temporarily removed the Maxx planes from operation, so my original flight has a new plane. I was considering changing it back because it is cheaper and l I like the times better; however, I am afraid once they "fix" the Maxx planes issues, they will place that plane back in line on my original flight.  I am still concered about those planes, so I don't really want to be on there.  Any thoughts would be helpful. Do you think they will put that Maxx plane back on the original route it had once the issue is resolved, or leave the planes that are currently scheduled to make the trip.

Depending on your risk aversion to a last minute ticket change that may cost more, the best plan I can see is go ahead and book the lower cost and favorable schedule now, and then as it gets closer if the MAX 8 comes back, then change it again. 

As @chgoflyer pointed out if your flight is in the next couple of months you should be covered as it will be unlikely for the planes to return to service by then (we don't know for sure the timing).

When they do come back, it isn't clear that they would be immediately returned to the same routes, different routes, etc. so you may still be on an 800 while the MAX 8 ends up on another route.

It will take some time to get these planes back into position, without knowing when they can be flown again I doubt even Southwest is sure what the schedule will be at that time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

AN90
Explorer A

Thank you! I may go ahead and change it back.  Now I have to worry about Southwest canceling my flight all together! It said they were cancelling around 300 per day, so I'm hoping mine doesn't get cancelled because this is the only time my family can get together for this trip (this is stressful!)