Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Coronavirus and others

slatecolt
Explorer C

How does Southwest protect its customers/employees boarding its airplanes from communicable diseases and outbreaks such as Coronavirus?  Are plans regularly disinfected?  If not, why not?   Could you please shed some light on what the cleaning procedures are after each flight and at the end of the day.    I expect SWA to be a leader here as they are with other such things - i.e. bags fly free.

Thanks for your reply,

-Concerned traveler who will not be flying until the latest pandemic is over

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Coronavirus and others

SWDigits
Aviator A

Most of us here in the forums are customers like you.  For the most timely response you may want to try reaching out to Southwest directly on Twitter.  Their Twitter handle and other contact options are found by clicking the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of forum pages.

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A

While this is a fair topic of discussion, Southwest in my opinion is automatically at a lower risk for the Coronavirus in particular because it does not fly internationally other than to Mexico and the Caribbean currently. Southwest does not fly to China or anywhere in Asia for that matter. That's not to say that there is no risk associated with disease spread on aircraft, but most if not all US-based airlines are quite safe, and there's no reason not to fly within the continental US on an US-based airline, at a minimum. The Coronavirus has just 12 cases in the United States the last I checked, and I believe nearly all of the people infected traveled to Wuhan China specifically, which is where the virus originated. 

Let's not ring the bells of alarm unnecessarily in regards to air travel. 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@slatecolt wrote:

How does Southwest protect its customers/employees boarding its airplanes from communicable diseases and outbreaks such as Coronavirus?  Are plans regularly disinfected?  If not, why not?   Could you please shed some light on what the cleaning procedures are after each flight and at the end of the day.    I expect SWA to be a leader here as they are with other such things - i.e. bags fly free.

Thanks for your reply,

-Concerned traveler who will not be flying until the latest pandemic is over

Perhaps you should read up on cornavirus methods of transmission. You get the bug by contact with people -- not things. The bug dies off pretty fast when it is on, for example, a leather seat.

I'v read that the best advice is keep washing your hands, and DO NOT stick your fingers in your eyes, nose, mouth, etc. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

This is a really great question @slatecolt, and of course, we understand your concern. We conduct nightly cabin cleanings in accordance with established procedures, which include sanitization of the galleys and disinfection of the lavatories. Our aircraft are also refreshed between flights and throughout the day and receive heavier cleanings at regular intervals. 

The Safety of our Customers and Employees is always our primary concern. Out of an abundance of caution, and in light of the recent concerns of the coronavirus, our Crews follow recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to ensure the Customer, and those traveling with them, receive the assistance or support they may need. Please visit the CDC website to learn more. 

Nicole
Community Manager

OasisFan1
Explorer C

Answer me this...

If the corona virus is so contagious, transmission to transmission the quickest of just about any other aside from the Spanish Flu, The Plaque, “The Fever” of the 1800’s, and there are six cases let’s say, (there are more than six here in CA...) then how would they be the only ones infected, and in a bubble separated from the world due to contaminating everything they contact basically and scattered over the U.S. - HOW DID THEY KNOW that they were sick?! They said “showed Signs”. That means the 48 outside the body living virus that masks itself for 2 weeks before symptoms, or even a fever that they read with the lobotomizing  **brain zapper**   🧐 (then it’s too late you’re in a bubble or the ground) could have been on ANYTHING, at any time. And there’s no way that no one in the U.S. just DIDN’T touch ANYTHING these people did, or get infected. No spread at all, from the most dangerous fast spreading virus to date. But China has them dropping like flies (so we’re told and shown 🙄) like it’s Armageddon. How is it that it’s not like that here? The flu just hit EVERYONE. 300,000 to 600,000 die from that every year. All over. Now why did they have it in 2017, where did they get it from, and we are suppose to believe exactly one year later just like the Bird, SARS, H1N1, ect...that they largest, only of its kind, level B, top level molecular-biochemical ( BASE )  plant...THAT someone in communist China just “oppsied!” THERE, and it landed in WuHan?!?!???? China’s Govt already confessed and they keep lying still, making these confessions sound absurd and so phoney! 
So sorry, I didn’t get to rant about what I’ve found out that doesn’t make sense to me. So, here’s a long convo for that long flight. 
on me....

Oh, and the “things” and “people” comment about the ROI, I guess is true in part but makes no point. 
Happy Flying! 

KWM
Explorer C

Suggestion, follow the lead of the cruise ships and have a fight attendant at the entrance to the cabin with a dispenser of Purell or similar hand disinfectant and apply it to everyone upon boarding.  ALSO supply disinfectant wipes to every passenger for them to disinfect their personal space.  There isn't sufficient time between flights to do a complete and thorough cleaning/disinfecting. Not taking anything away from your efforts but given the mindset of most travelers at this time, the fact that they can help in the fight of this disease and protect themselves and others with this process would be priceless.  At Walmart a 4 package of Clorox wipes is less than $13 about 4 cents a piece.  At a volume that you would be buying I am sure the cost would be less than half. 

Think about it, material cost 2 cents and free labor.  From this you will undoubtedly help assuage peoples concerns, and keep more people flying as well as help to limit the spread of disease.  This situation is not one to be reactionary, Southwest should take the lead and be proactive in this fight.  CDC,  WHO,  government historically are behind the curve.  I would gladly forgo a bag of crackers for a couple disinfectant wipes.  Maybe Southwest can be the first air carrier to have the term "Germ tube" no longer apply.