Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

FLIGHTS

blessed50161
Explorer C

I want to know why the nonstop flight between Detroit and Atlanta has been discontinued???

3 REPLIES 3

Re: FLIGHTS

bec102896
Aviator A

@blessed50161 

sorry to hear a route you like has been discontinued. Route changes are tough calls for the airline to make but unfortunately as a customer I don’t know why the route from DTW to ATL has been discontinued. I recommend you send an email to Southwest by clicking on the “contact us” link at the bottom of this page that way someone from Southwest can respond personally and maybe give you an idea if that route will return or not later on. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You'll have to use one of the "Contact Us" methods to reach Southwest directly to ask the question. I've never seen them respond directly to similar questions on the forum or by other social media. There is generally a canned response "...better utilize our resources..."

In practice those airports are Delta Homebase 1 connecting to Delta Homebase 2, so the competitiveness for that route is probably Delta's to lose. 

For whatever reason Southwest must not have seen the revenue from that route and needed to better position equipment and crew.

Atlanta is the most popular destination from DTW but I expect that is propped up by number of connections on Delta. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Metropolitan_Airport

Busiest domestic routes from DTW (April 2018 – March 2019)[65]

1Atlanta, Georgia819,430Delta, Southwest, Spirit
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

One more that I thought was interesting is total share of passengers at DTW - Southwest obviously is having a few gates and a few flights per day and needs to be sure the planes are visiting worthwhile destinations.

1Delta Air Lines14,696,00047.22%
2SkyWest Airlines3,686,00011.84%
3Spirit Airlines3,236,00010.40%
4Endeavor Air2,089,0006.71%
5Southwest Airlines1,603,0005.15%
6Other5,814,00018.68%
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.