Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Peanuts

alco5521
Explorer C

Where oh where are those tasty little boogers? They were among the best airline snacks and I enjoyed them.

I totally get it about allergies...so those folks just don't eat them and the rest of us still enjoy. Or are we saying the allergy is airborne and people are infected through the air? Just wondering...and sure do miss 'em.

PS What happened to those fliers all the years SWA served the nuts?  Wanting to learn because I'm not fully read in on this subject. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Peanuts

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Before peanuts were discontinued, it was very common for flight attendants to not serve peanuts on a flight due to a passenger with an allergy.  Unfortunatley, some folks with peanut allergies can have life-threatening reactions from just the peanut dust.  If you think about the airplane being a small, confined space, the safest path is to just discontinue them.

More about peanut allergies here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

RL2880
Explorer C

I have flown my fair share of flights over 500, which for some isn’t much but for most, a lot. I can count on 1 hand, that’s 1 percent or less, how many times I was told someone on the plane had a peanut allergy. They have been serving peanuts on planes longer than you and I have been alive. Let’s not get all high and mighty for people with peanut allergies.

Why not get all high and mighty about people’s personal fitness and not serve the high fructose drinks, wheat infused pretzels and breakfast bars. What about people with celiac disease. Just because they won’t die immediately they shouldn’t be cared about as an allergy.  Peanut allergies are rare and anyone that flys planes knows it.

There has to be another underlying reason which the airline is not telling us.

alco5521
Explorer C

I appreciate your reply and inclined to agree. Or why not do something about the passengers with b.o. so bad that it about makes you sick. Hoping someone from SW replies to both issues. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@alco5521 wrote:

I appreciate your reply and inclined to agree. Or why not do something about the passengers with b.o. so bad that it about makes you sick. Hoping someone from SW replies to both issues. 

Alco, this is a customer to customer forum. You ae unlikely to get a reply from the airline here.

If you want a reply, you probably shlould try  e-mail. To do so click on "contact us" at the bottom of this page, and then select e-mail from the top left of the ensuing page.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@RL2880 wrote:

I have flown my fair share of flights over 500, which for some isn’t much but for most, a lot. I can count on 1 hand, that’s 1 percent or less, how many times I was told someone on the plane had a peanut allergy. They have been serving peanuts on planes longer than you and I have been alive. Let’s not get all high and mighty for people with peanut allergies.

Why not get all high and mighty about people’s personal fitness and not serve the high fructose drinks, wheat infused pretzels and breakfast bars. What about people with celiac disease. Just because they won’t die immediately they shouldn’t be cared about as an allergy.  Peanut allergies are rare and anyone that flys planes knows it.

There has to be another underlying reason which the airline is not telling us.

It's more of an issue of risk - a kid that gets exposed to peanut could have a very serious reaction. Nothing happens to me if people throw pretzels at me as a gluten-intolerant passenger. If one did somehow get into my mouth, and I ate it, that's another story but still nowhere as serious as for the peanut allergy kid.

Disallowing peanuts on one flight was inadequate due to the peanut dust, packets left all over the place, etc...the only way to really avoid the risk was not to have them onboard. 

I'm not sure what the implication would be for a fellow passenger bringing them on, but that isn't prohibited. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@alco5521

Normally, I would of buy it from Relay Newstand or buy the food from BK or McD.

MACROvsMICRO
Explorer C

Few people appreciate the severity of the peanut dust allergy.   On our last trip we have been met with a condescending tone when the peanut dust allergy is mentioned.  

I myself don't have the allergy,  but I am the one who has to help manage it when my wife has a reaction,  it can be scary.