Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rank Your Top Seats

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

Being new to this community, one of the most surprising (and interesting) things I've noticed is how some seats are more preferred than others. On top of that, it seems different people like different seats.

My preference has always been "front-ish, window or aisle." I didn't realize there was more to it.

So...tell me your top 3 seats.

I promise to give you your seat if I ever find myself sitting in it on the same flight as you.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Rank Your Top Seats

dfwskier
Aviator A

9C -- it frequently is the first to receive beverage service - at least in the front 2/3s of the plane. 

Not sure about the back 1/3, but I don't sit back there very much.

9D - aisle and the 4th to receive beverage service

Any other aisle in the front 1/2 of the plane.

bec102896
Aviator A

I usually go for the exit row window/aisle if they are taken I'll go back towards the last row because that's usually where I might find the 1 open middle seat because who wants to be in the very back if they can be in the middle of the plane.

-Blake

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@bec102896 - we share that preference; i'll sit in the very back if it means i get an empty seat next to me.

although, i've never considered choosing a seat based on beverage service...that might be my new move. s/o @dfwskier for that piece of knowledge

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I usually go for the exit row window/aisle if they are taken I'll go back towards the last row because that's usually where I might find the 1 open middle seat because who wants to be in the very back if they can be in the middle of the plane.

-Blake

My experience is that on  very full planes, rows 2, 3 and 4 are the rows likely  to have empty middle seats. Why? Most late boarders follow the leader towards the back of the plane to find seats. When they find none, they start heading forward and are instructed to take the first available seat. So there are times that late boarders fill up middle seats from the back to the front of the plane. 

Some late boarders are astute enough to grab a middle seat up front. I've noticed fewer of them than those mentioned in the preceeding paragraph.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@bec102896 wrote:

-Blake

My experience is that on  very full planes, rows 2, 3 and 4 are the rows likely  to have empty middle seats. Why? Most late boarders follow the leader towards the back of the plane to find seats. When they find none, they start heading forward and are instructed to take the first available seat. So there are times that late boarders fill up middle seats from the back to the front of the plane. 

Some late boarders are astute enough to grab a middle seat up front. I've noticed fewer of them than those mentioned in the preceeding paragraph.

Agree @dfwskier the front third of the plane is Southwest's "hidden first class" likely to have an open middle - IMO because the bin space fills up so those late boarders with carry-on keep heading to the back and once they find bin space they take the next available seat as they head forwards.

On a moderately full plane then good chance for an open middle seat in the way back as well. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

baseballfan1985
Explorer C

Row 15...there are only two seats in the row, so my husband and I get the row to ourselves. Downside - the seats don't recline...

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

8F - or whichever has the solid wall by the seat.  Best for sleeping as I can lean right and tune out.  No neck pillow, no head bobbing.