Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Canceling Flights and Reinstating them within a few hours - I lose my boarding order

Paritosh71
Explorer C

A list Preferred Customer

Southwest on 2/9 sent a text at 3.36 AM flight 2283 was cancelled. I was traveling from SJC to HOU with the aircraft stopping in DAL. No plane change was needed.

I woke up early and looked online. The flight was on and not cancelled. However my booking number showed errors in the Southwest App and website. It was like my reservations never existed. I could have booked new flights on line but these were significantly more expensive.

A few hours later Southwest sent a message the flight was on, but again nothing showed up online. I called to be told, the flight was still on. Only the plane now stopped in DAL. I had to switch planes in DAL for Houston. The rebooking done by Southwest made me loose my boarding spot. Instead of A17 I was not B37. 

This has also happened for a few flights where I was traveling just from DAL to HOU. Southwest cancels and then reinstated the same flight and now I lost my boarding order.

What can Southwest do to keep the boarding order if it is canceling and reinstating the same flight before departure time. It knows who has made other reservations. I would like to keep my boarding order.

Regards Paritosh

1 REPLY 1

Re: Southwest Canceling Flights and Reinstating them within a few hours - I lose my boarding order

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Paritosh71 wrote:

What can Southwest do to keep the boarding order if it is canceling and reinstating the same flight before departure time. It knows who has made other reservations. I would like to keep my boarding order.

Regards Paritosh

Well Paritosh, I've never herd of the airline canceling a flight (for example flight 33) and then reinstating flight 33.

As far as what the airline can do to keep your boarding order: the answer is not much. The people on the new flight checked in just like you did for the cancelled flight. The boarding spots already went to other passengers, so they can't be given to you. The best the airline can do is give you the best spot that's available when you check in. Since you are A-List pref, you have the advantage of being able to board before B group and family boarding. My experience when I've done that and boarded at what would have been A61 or A62, is that I get a pretty good seat.