Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: WIFI across all your devices

ethode
Explorer C

It’s easy, stop disabling the hotspot feature on phones when they connect to WiFi - done.

Lowwater
Explorer C

It’s really not that complicated.. Make it FREE for paying customers for God’s sake. Total f****** Joke Southwest. 

EdinTexasHills
Explorer C

So to be clear, there are ways to do this, which other US (and non-US) carriers have right now. The most popular approach is to transfer from one device to another. Without having a customer muck about with IDs and MAC addresses, it works like this:

During the valid period, there's a web option on the portal to transfer the device. When you select it, an ID is generated and the current device is disabled. Using the new device, you go to the same portal and select the option to register the device using the ID issued to you.

Tbey Re: WIFI across all your devices

leroymi
Explorer C

Why couldn't they just let you use the invoice number in place of a voucher number since there is a place to enter a voucher for wifi? 

mhohenberg
Explorer C

It’s easy, when you purchase from your phone, you get a confirmation email with receipt. Included in that receipt should be a voucher code. 

Login to Southwest WiFi purchase screen, enter voucher code and you have WiFi on that device for the duration of the flight. 

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

Yeah it’s tough ! I often end up making the decision on what I need the most .  I know with Gogo you can do it on multiple but  at separate times . southwest has their own providers they work with (global eagle/Panasonic ku) so I’m not sure they have that function. You should look into wireless flight  routers on amazon though  

Lowwater
Explorer C

Southwest should offer FREE WIFI so it wouldn’t matter about MAC addresses or authentication or any of that BS. While working for the City of Albuquerque as a network engineer, we setup FREE WIFI for the entire airport terminal 17 years ago! C’mon Southwest. 

Punky10s
Explorer C

This is really important. I often work on flights and my work actually requires both laptop and phone usage. So to work I have to pay double! Which is just not worth it.

toddtimes
Explorer C

Was struggling with this on my flight today when I realized that I could connect via my Mac laptop and share that connection via System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing and share it to my iPhone when connected via USB (just like if I was using the cable for the iPhone's Personal Hotspot feature). Worked great the entire flight. I'm assuming you could setup the same with a Windows laptop and/or an Android phone, though I can't point you to the easy steps.

Jwalsh3rd
Adventurer A

On American I discovered that their WiFi works on all of my devices, but not simultaneously.  As an AList preferred passenger I have used my phone or IPad simultaneously on my SW fights often.  Did you know that you can access Southwest.com without  paying any fees.  It makes checking on for the next day and checking flights or making reservations easy.