Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Your failure to act on the Boeing 737 8 MAX

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@tyenshee wrote:

I agree with the comment that it should be a global coordinated effort to ground these plans until the real reason is brought to light for both tragedies. Even if it turns out it wasn't an issue with the plane, it would signal to customers that the company cares about the emotional wellbeing of anxious flyers. 

The company HAS shown it cares about the emotional well being of anxious flyers by allowing those flyers to change their reservations. Don't want to fly on a Max8? OK, change AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to a different plane and flight.

Is there anything official announcing this?

I looked at each of the four flights I have scheduled and could change every one of them to any date within two weeks of the scheduled departure date-- regardless of aircraft type 700, 800 or Max8.

Ok, understood. That's not an official announcement. 😉

I just checked my upcoming flights, and there's nothing like that showing for any of mine (7 flights, March 26 thru July 8.)  All show the usual point/cash differences when I try to "change" them.

I saw elsewhere that Southwest has protected upcoming flights for some due to the operational emergency, with language that says: "Important: You can change your flight. You may change your travel date/time at no additional cost. Circumstances beyond our control (weather, etc.) are creating disruptions to our schedule and a flight(s) on which you are currently booked may adversely me affected."

Is that by chance what you're seeing? That seems more likely, given that your flights aren't all scheduled on MAX aircraft. What are the dates of travel?

I think it's highly unlikely that Southwest is currently allowing all passengers, regardless of aircraft type, to change their flights for no cost. 😉

I think it's fantastic if Southwest is allowing those passengers scheduled on a MAX aircraft who may be hesitant to fly on that plane change their itinerary, but I'm also seeing reports on social media that some are being charged the fare difference when they call in.

Official clarification would be optimal.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Why would SWA gamble with the investment of the planes, lives of passengers/crew,  and bad media coverage if they were not confident that the planes were safe?  I trust SWA and their expertise. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

dfwskier
Aviator A

chgoflyer --

the change window apparently only extends til 4/1 and the flights I checked were all in March. I presume Southwest will extend if it sees a need to do so. The message I get is identical to the one you would get in the event of a weather advisory:

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below. DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS

• Departure airport must be: Dallas (Love Field), TX - DAL
  • Arrival airport must be: Chicago (Midway), IL - MDW
  • Travel dates are between: 3/11/2019 to 4/1/2019
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

chgoflyer --

the change window apparently only extends til 4/1 and the flights I checked were all in March. I presume Southwest will extend if it sees a need to do so. The message I get is identical to the one you would get in the event of a weather advisory:

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below. DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS

• Departure airport must be: Dallas (Love Field), TX - DAL
  • Arrival airport must be: Chicago (Midway), IL - MDW
  • Travel dates are between: 3/11/2019 to 4/1/2019
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

I do not see that on my March flights. Nothing even close. Regular flight differences to change.

What is it about this that makes you think it's due to the MAX issues? Especially if none of your flights are actually on MAX aircraft?

In the absence of anything official, the operational emergency is a much more likely explanation.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Avoiding a Boeing 737 Max flight could cost you money

From the article:

Passengers unnerved by the two recent Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes should be ready to pay if they want to ease their minds by changing their flight plans.

Some major U.S.-based airline companies, Southwest Airlines and American Airlines told MarketWatch on Monday they were sticking with the scrutinized aircraft and weren’t planning any concessions for customers who change flight reservations to avoid flying on the 737 Max 8.

And though passengers nervous about flying on the Max 8 asked for waivers on change fees and other expenses involved in switching flights, none of those carriers will offer special accommodations to travelers who want to avoid the Max 8.

Southwest responded on its Twitter  account that it’s not offering any special deals to people who want to change their reservations to avoid the plane. “If you would like to change your flight, there would be a difference in fare that would need to be collected for doing so,” a Southwest representative said on the social-media platform.

“Our Customer Relations Team is responding to these Customers individually, emphasizing our friendly, no-change fee policy (Customers simply pay any applicable fare difference).”

sbk
Explorer B

I am absolutely shocked that this is actually a "discussion"... so basically SW won't ground these planes until they are 110% sure that they aren't putting passengers at risk?  So, it is much more important to make money than to follow through and find out what really caused these accidents? They are willing to put the lives of their employees & passengers at risk. 

We have been loyal SW A-list for years. We always considered SW top noch and wrongly thought that they put safety first. Wow! We are speechless! Unless SW is 110% sure that their airplanes are not flawed then they should not be flown! SW is definitely not 110% sure (obviously no one is) but they are still willing to fly these planes regardless. Oh my gosh! Money first, safety second.

Will you please do the right thing SW and do your investigating "before" fllying these planes instead of doing it after something potientially bad happens.  Isn't this a no brainer?

Safety first SW- you know your gut is tellling you that this is so wrong.  😞 

Better safe than sorry, correct?

dserro12
Explorer C

Its just irresponsible that they would alllow these planes to continue to fly at this point. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Update: A friend called to ask my advice, nervous about flying on a MAX. She checked online but was unable to change her flight without paying the fare difference. I told her to call, and she just reported that the phone rep was able to make the change for her without any additional cost. 

sbk
Explorer B

This is an extremely serious issue- I heard that SW employees might go on strike until this unresolved very serious problem is taken care of.  Going on strike might be the only way these potientially faulty airplanes will be grounded and fixed. I can't believe it would take something like this for them to actually look into safety for their employees and passengers- their care/concern should be top priority & automatic- employees/passengers shouldn't have to beg SW to put our safety first... truly scary!!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sbk wrote:

- I heard that SW employees might go on strike until this unresolved very serious problem is taken care of.  Going on strike might be the only way these potientially faulty airplanes will be grounded and fixed.  

I'll call that what it is: B.S.

In fact the pilots and FAs say the plane is safe. Here's what they said:

"I have also had conversations with TWU 556 President Lyn Montgomery, who represents Southwest
Flight Attendants, AMFA National President Bret Oestreich, SWAPA Safety Committee and SWAPA
Government Affairs Committee members, as well as leaders from other Pilot labor unions. I relayed to
them that SWAPA is extremely confident that our entire fleet, including the MAX, is safe based on
the facts, intelligence, data, and information we presently have. We fully support Southwest Airlines'
decision to continue flying the MAX and the FAA's findings to date.

I will continue to put my family, friends, and loved ones on any Southwest flight and the main reason is
you, the Pilots of SWAPA. We have lobbied hard for our training to continue to evolve and improve,
and due to having the finest union Training and Standards Committee in the industry, that is
occurring.