Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Additional Luggage

Iamonislandtime
Explorer C

I am traveling from TUL to CUN in May for a one way flight. I am moving to Mexico!!  Anyway, I may have some additional checked luggage beyond the two suitcases since I am moving. Does anyone know if plastic totes will be accepted as long as they meet the size and weight guidelines?  I was thinking they may be more sturdy than boxes. But then again the way luggage is tossed around maybe a box wrapped in tape would hold up better than the plastic totes. Anyone have experience using boxes or totes?  Or any other ideas for the excess luggage that will be household items. Thanks in advance! 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Additional Luggage

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Iamonislandtime wrote:

I am traveling from TUL to CUN in May for a one way flight. I am moving to Mexico!!  Anyway, I may have some additional checked luggage beyond the two suitcases since I am moving. Does anyone know if plastic totes will be accepted as long as they meet the size and weight guidelines?  I was thinking they may be more sturdy than boxes. But then again the way luggage is tossed around maybe a box wrapped in tape would hold up better than the plastic totes. Anyone have experience using boxes or totes?  Or any other ideas for the excess luggage that will be household items. Thanks in advance! 

I would recommend to investigate methods of shipping the items if you'll have more than a couple of boxes. 

I haven't used the totes before, but I think it would work although the cost premium vs boxes may not be worth it.

As far as totes, there are some that are opaque which are more flexible/pliable and would hold up under any forseable circumstance, and some of the clear plastic ones are a little more rigid and I don't think I'd use those as they could fracture.

Boxes are fine in general although verify that this is okay specifically for Mexico luggage.

You could also hit the second hand store for some "disposable" large suitcases if you'll be taking just a couple of extras.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.