Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Any flexibility at all on the under 18 international flight policy (which is horrible, btw)?

jeremymaritz
Explorer C

Hello, 

I'm booking tickets for my 16 year old daughter and her best friend to go visit family in Mexico. 

After filling out the itinerary and hitting PURCHASE I was stopped by the message that travelers under the age of 18 aren't allowed to travel internationally without an adult on the same itinerary...which to me is pretty ridiculous. We'll have adults bringing them to the airport as well as picking them up, they both have valid passports and have traveled internationally on other airlines before.

Futhermore this policy isn't listed on either your Unaccompanied Minor page or your Young Traveler page. You have to dig pretty deep to finally find it in the fine print on the Terms and Conditions. 

Is there any flexibility on this at all?

Thanks in advance for your response!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Any flexibility at all on the under 18 international flight policy (which is horrible, btw)?

franktravel
Aviator B

Travel by Minors:

Unaccompanied Minor Travel. Carrier will not transport unaccompanied minor children on international itineraries. No person under the age of 18 is permitted to travel on an international flight unless accompanied by a parent or companion at least 18 years of age or older.

Minors Accompanied by One Parent or Someone who is not a Parent. Special documentation may be required for admission to or departure from certain countries when a minor child is accompanied by only one parent or a person who is not the minor’s legal guardian. See Section 8(f) International Travel Documents herein.