Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flights from CA to Costa Rica all gone???

kirstenc
Explorer C

Good morning,

I'm a dedicated and loyal SW customer.  I fly an average of 2-3 times a week for work and always appreciate the flexibility of SW.  

That said, I was VERY disappointed to find out that SW has cancelled the LAX to LIR route which, for all intents and purposes, cancels all travel from CA to Costa Rica.  It is impossible to get a connecting fight out of Houston because no flights arrive in Houston in time to catch the only flight to LIR.  

Last year, I flew to LIR from LAX 4 times in 6 months and every flight I was on was either full or close to full.  SW provided an affordable and convenient option for international travel and it's very disappointing the decision has been made to no longer provide it's customers with these options.

Is there someone at SW Airlines I could direct these comments to who has some decision making ability?  Have there been discussions about bringing this route back?  

I've also noticed the price of the flights from Houston to LIR have spiked dramatically.  Is this route next to be eliminated?

Thanks for your time.

Kirsten

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Flights from CA to Costa Rica all gone???

BrieStrickland
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hey @kirstenc,

We still have our LAX-LIR route but it is a limited route that is only on certain days. Have you tried searching for that route on Southwest.com? The Low Fare Calendar could be helpful is showing you which days that route operates. 

I just checked the flight schedule here. 

Where are you having trouble finding the route? 

Brie 

Southwest Airlines Community 

kirstenc
Explorer C

Hi Brie-

Thanks for the response.  However, when you search for flights from LAX to LIR in June or beyond there are no flights available.  There used to be a daily direct flight from LAX to LIR, even in June those flights include a layover in Houston and after June they are simply unavailable.  

In addition, the cancellation of the LAX to LIR route was reported publicly months ago here:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/01/06/route-map-shake-up-southwest-....

I have to say that is a extremely frustrating to be told multiple times by SW employees that a flight route exists when I know that it does not.  I called customer service twice before posting here trying to get information about the future status of this route and was told twice by them that I was doing something wrong.  I found the article above by doing a simple Google search.  

It would be much appreciated if the original questions in my first post could be addressed:  "Is there someone at SW Airlines I could direct these comments to who has some decision making ability?  Have there been discussions about bringing this route back?  

I've also noticed the price of the flights from Houston to LIR have spiked dramatically.  Is this route next to be eliminated?"

maymich8465
Explorer C

Is there an update regarding this flight route?  On May 18 when flights were opened up through January 2018, I checked the LAX-LIB flights.  There was an error message.  After being on hold with customer service for over 30 minutes, I was told by a manager to check back later that day because all the routes had not yet been updated.  But now 4 days later, searching that route still gives an error message. 

The website says there is a nonstop route from LAX to Liberia.  Last December there was at least one nonstop flight a day--that is the busy season and I figured Southwest would continue with at least one flight a day again.  We have been accumulating points in order to fly there in December, and have booked hotels. Can Southwest please explain what is going on? 

kirstenc
Explorer C

The moderator has marked this issue "resolved" (even though this question was never answered).  I've had a terrible time trying to get a straight answer and have experienced the same situation you did where customer service agents seem to have no information or incorrect information.  I was finally able to get confirmation that the LAX-LIR route has been cancelled for now, but I have no idea if that is temporary or permanent.  I've tried emailing, tweeting, calling, and asking the question here multiple times and each time I either don't get a response, the person gives me incorrect information, or just won't answer the question.  

I would recommend calling and asking to talk to a supervisor and put in a request that they bring the route back.   Or sending an email to Customer Service with that same request.

maymich8465
Explorer C

Oh no! I was really relying on that route. I will try calling a supervisor--thanks for the information. 

maymich8465
Explorer C

I just spoke to Customer Relations who confirmed they are no longer supporting an LAX to Liberia flight. Houston to Liberia only, and BWI to Liberia on a limited basis. All she could do is lodge a complaint that goes to management. Incredibly disappointing and misleading that this was never announced. 

MilesDS
Explorer C

There has to be a better day then searching every day to see if there is a flight.  Can't you post this to a calendar?  example user enters departure airport, Arrival Airport, and month of travel...from there you would see what day's southwest flys that route.

franktravel
Aviator B

Use the flexible low fare calendar. http://tinyurl.com/zcev5zj

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@MilesDS

We actually do have a tool that does this! Check it out here

You can reach it by going to Southwest.com > Click "Flight" in the upper right corner > Flight Schedules. Once you've reached this screen, just fill in the boxes and select either a "daily" or "weekly" view. You'll be able to see all the days we operate flights on your selected route.